Quarterback Treon Harris has been cleared to return to the Florida Gators after the sexual battery complaint against the freshman quarterback was withdrawn by his accuser, the university said Friday.
“This means she is not pursuing criminal charges against him at this time but maintains the right to do so in the future,” school spokeswoman Janine Sikes said in a statement.
The university also said that it is not proceeding with any action against Harris.
Gators coach Will Muschamp issued a statement saying that Harris has been reinstated, but would not play Saturday against LSU.
“We have been notified that the University and legal process is complete,” Muschamp said. “… This has been a learning experience for everyone involved. Treon has been honest with me throughout the process and is looking forward to rejoining his teammates.”
Huntley Johnson, who represents Harris, said earlier that his client has been informed that he “is no longer banned from campus” and is permitted to “resume UF activities.”
The university would not confirm that Harris is allowed to return to campus, citing student privacy laws.
Harris, 19, was suspended by Florida and the University Athletic Association on Monday when university police began an investigation into an accusation that Harris sexually assaulted a female student at an on-campus residence hall early Sunday morning.
Multiple sources close to the football program told ESPN.com that the accuser is also an athlete at the university.
Click here for more.