U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday named Lieutenant General Herbert Raymond McMaster as his new national security adviser, choosing a military officer known for speaking his mind and challenging his superiors. Continue reading “New National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster is Known for Saying Leaders “Want Criticism”; Will he Give it to Trump?”
Wal-Mart Stores Inc on Tuesday reported higher-than-expected U.S. sales, helped by more customer visits to stores and accelerating online activity, and the world’s largest retailer’s shares rose more than 3 percent. Continue reading “Wal-Mart Sees Boost in Sales Due to Increased Number of Shoppers Coming to Stores More Frequently”
In the week before U.S. Vice President Mike Pence visited Brussels and pledged America’s “steadfast and enduring” commitment to the European Union, White House chief strategist Steve Bannon met with a German diplomat and delivered a different message, according to people familiar with the talks. Continue reading “Mixed Messages: Before Mike Pence Reaffirmed America’s ‘Steadfast’ Commitment to EU, Steve Bannon Had Communicated that Trump’s Administration Wanted to Bypass the Organization”
Restaurant Brands International Inc, owner of the Burger King and Tim Hortons fast-food chains, said on Tuesday it would acquire Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen for $1.8 billion in cash. Continue reading “Owner of Burger King and Tim Hortons to Buy Popeyes for $1.8 Billion”
Gospel artist Fred Hammond’s childhood home is facing demolition. Hammond takes a visit to the old neighborhood and gets a little emotional as he recalls some of his fondest memories of the house. Check out the video below:
The Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division and the FBI said late Monday they are investigating a series of bomb threats and vandalism targeted at Jewish community centers across the U.S. On Monday alone, at least 10 community centers received bomb threats, forcing many to evacuate while officials searched the premises, NBC News reported. Separately, more than 170 gravesites at a historic St. Louis-area Jewish cemetery were toppled and damaged in a weekend attack that included sites that hold the remains of Holocaust survivors. Police have not concluded the motivation of the attack or whether it constitutes a hate crime, according to local reports. The bomb threats were reported at community centers in Albuquerque; Birmingham, Alabama; Buffalo, New York; Chicago; Cleveland; Houston; Milwaukee; Nashville; St. Paul, Minnesota; and Tampa. “We are aware of a number of bomb threats at JCCs. Js are working directly w/local authorities to make sure people & premises are safe,” the JCC Association of North America posted in a tweet. Jewish community centers have seen a spike in bomb threats in 2017, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.
An Israeli soldier who fatally shot a wounded Palestinian attacker in the West Bank—all of which was caught on video—was sentenced Tuesday to 18 months in prison for the killing. The ruling was handed down by an Israeli military court. Sgt. Elor Azaria was convicted on manslaughter charges last month in the case that has been deeply divisive. Azaria has widespread support throughout Israel, where military service is mandatory. Several protests have been held over his conviction. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has publicly called for Azaria to be pardoned for the March 2016 incident.
SOURCE: The Daily Beast
At least 74 bodies of African migrants have washed ashore in Libya and were found on Monday morning, the Associated Press reports. The drowned migrants’ bodies were retrieved by workers later that afternoon. A torn rubber boat was found near the bodies and more are expected to surface since most boats of that build carry up to 120 people. Local authorities have reportedly been instructed to relocate the dead to a cemetery in Tripoli reserved for unidentified persons. Migrant deaths along the central Mediterranean route reportedly totaled 4,579 in 2016, compared to 2,869 in 2015 and 3,161 in 2014.
SOURCE: The Daily Beast
Vice President Mike Pence reacted on Monday to the resignation of former national security adviser Michael Flynn, telling reporters in Brussels that he was “disappointed” in Flynn’s conduct. “I was disappointed to learn that the facts that have been conveyed to me by Gen. Flynn were inaccurate,” Pence said alongside NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg. Flynn resigned last week after it was revealed that he misled Pence about the content of his conversations with Russia’s ambassador to the United States. Flynn initially told Pence that he did not discuss sanctions with the ambassador, a line that both Pence and White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus repeated during media interviews. It was later revealed through news reports that Flynn did, in fact, discuss sanctions during those conversations. “We honor Gen. Flynn’s long service to the United States of America, and I fully support the president’s decision to ask for his resignation,” Pence added.
Mike Pence: "I was disappointed to learn that the facts that have been conveyed to me by Gen. Flynn were inaccurate" https://t.co/zmen5c8UI2
— CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) February 20, 2017
SOURCE: The Daily Beast