JAPAN ORDERS ITS CITIZENS TO TAKE SHELTER “UNDERGROUND” AFTER NORTH KOREA LAUNCHES BALLISTIC MISSILES OVER JAPAN for First Time in Five Years as Tokyo Urges Residents to Take Cover Amid Growing Regional Tensions Following U.S. and SOUTH KOREAN MILITARY DRILLS
North Korea fired a ballistic missile over Japan for the first time in five years, prompting a warning for residents to take cover and a temporary suspension of train operations in the northern part of the country.
Tuesday’s launch was Pyongyang’s fifth in 10 days, amid military muscle-flexing by the United States and South Korea, which staged trilateral anti-submarine exercises last week with Japanese naval forces.
The Japanese government warned citizens to take cover as the missile appeared to have flown over and past its territory before falling into the Pacific Ocean.
It said it did not use any defence measures to destroy the missile.
Prime Minister Fumio Kishida condemned the launch and called North Korea’s actions ‘barbaric.’ He noted that the government would continue to gather and analyse information.
North Korea views such drills as an invasion rehearsal, though Seoul and Washington say they are defensive in nature.
Speaking to reporters shortly after the launch Mr Kishida said: ‘A ballistic missile is believed to have passed over our country and fallen in the Pacific Ocean.
‘This is an act of violence following recent repeated launches of ballistic missiles. We strongly condemn this.’
Hirokazu Matsuno, Japan’s top government spokesperson, held a brief news conference early Tuesday, alleging Pyongyang’s launches ‘threatens peace and security.’
‘North Korea’s series of actions, including its repeated ballistic missile launches, threatens the peace and security of Japan, the region, and the international community, and poses a serious challenge to the entire international community, including Japan,’ he said.
The launch had prompted an evacuation warning across Japan.
Source: DailyMail, Natasha Anderson