The death toll from last week’s devastating flooding in Kentucky rose to 37 on Monday evening as another round of severe storms threatens to bring further rainfall, high winds and even flash flooding to residents still trying to find their footing.
At a news conference Monday morning, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear said that five days after the flooding began, a minimum of “hundreds” of people remain unaccounted for in the state. The death toll is still expected to rise as search efforts continue this week.
“That’s going to grow,” he said.
More rain, as well as the possibility of isolated flooding a damaging wind, is expected into Monday afternoon, Beshear said in a video posted to Twitter. The governor encouraged residents to stay away from flooded areas and take shelter on higher ground.
“Our goal moving into tonight is that everybody gets into a safe place,” he said. “We don’t want to have to search for any people that are safe right now.”
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: USA Today, Cady Stanton, Jordan D. Brown, and Celina Tebor