The Islamic State, also known as ISIS, claimed responsibility for attacks on several Christian villages last month in Cabo Delgado, Mozambique.
Between May 23 and May 31, six villages were attacked by Muslim extremists, leaving at least eight people dead. Four Christians were among those who were murdered, according to persecution watchdog International Christian Concern.
Following the attacks, ISIS released photographs of six decapitated bodies, as well as images of the burned villages, several media outlets reported.
The attacks in the country’s northern Cabo Delgado province began in 2017 when Islamic extremists started an insurgency that was largely put down last year by an African multinational military force with troops provided by the 16 member countries of the Southern African Development Community.
Due to the increased violence in the region, the United Nations said 10,000 people have fled from the area just in the last week, according to Agence France-Presse.
“I’ve already left with my family, but I haven’t harvested my fields yet. I’ll have to come back once it’s safe,” Antonio Kalimuka told AFP.
Since 2017, more than 4,000 people have been killed in Mozambique, according to the watchdog group The Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project.
Click here to read more.