Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Novels podcast episode #363. Today we are reading chapter 3 of the novel “All the Bishop’s Children Book 2” by Daniel Whyte III with Meriqua Whyte.
DJ had just fallen asleep when he was awakened to his brother shaking him.
“DJ, DJ, wake up! It’s Dad and Mom. They’re arguing,” Kennedy said.
“This isn’t the first time,” DJ moaned. “If it’s still dark outside, then please leave me alone and go back to bed.” He pulled his blanket tighter around him, but Kennedy persisted in trying to get him up.
“Yeah. But this time it’s serious,” Kennedy said. “I heard Mom cry out as if he was hurting her.”
“Dad would never hurt Mom,” DJ said. “You know they don’t want you listening to them. Go back to sleep.”
Kennedy yanked the covers off his brother.
“Hey!” DJ said getting up with a start. “I’ll be glad when you get your own room.” He sat up in his bed and listened. “I only hear muffled sounds. Doesn’t sound like arguing to me. Give me my blanket and go back to sleep.”
“Well, they were arguing,” Kennedy said tossing DJ’s blanket at him. “I got up to go to the bathroom and when I opened the door I heard them. I heard Mom cry out and say something about hurting me. And Dad was saying something about Rev. Dorsett being over here while he was gone. I haven’t seen Rev. Dorsett over here. And I thought Dad was supposed to return later this evening.”
“Oh, yeah,” DJ said remembering his father awakening him. “Dad came back early. He checked in on us but you were as dad would say in a ‘coma.’ Did you hear anything else?”
“I heard a door open and I climbed back into bed and waited for things to die down. That’s when I woke you up,” Kennedy said.
They both listened.
All was silent.
* * * * *
Dwight closed DJ and Kennedy’s bedroom door. He sighed as he made his way into the kitchen. He absentmindedly opened the refrigerator, looked in but then closed it. He peered into a few of the cupboards looking for nothing in particular. Without turning the light on in the living room he sat in his easy chair. There was nothing on the television at that time of the morning so he just sat in the dark—thinking. How could such a wonderful past two days end up like this? Disappointment flooded his soul as he thought of his wife and Rev. Dorsett being together. His heartbeat began to increase. He returned to his bedroom after a few minutes.
Dwight flipped the light on in the bedroom after pushing the door shut. He yanked the sheet and blanket off his wife.
“Get up! Get up right now!” he said shaking his wife.
“Mmmm,” Rosalind moaned.
“Stop that faking because I have no time for games. You lied to me. It took our son to tell me the truth,” Dwight said.
“What are you talking about?” Rosalind said sitting up in the bed. She looked at the clock. “Dwight, it’s 4:30 in the morning. Have you lost your mind?”
“Have I lost my mind? No. I should be the one asking you that question. Have you lost your mind? What was Rev. Dorsett doing over here at three in the morning? And don’t tell me he wasn’t because I know what I saw and DJ verified it.”
“DJ verified it? When did DJ see Rev. Dorsett over here? And at three in the morning when he’s asleep? I believe he was dreaming, so you might want to ask him again,” Rosalind said swinging both legs over the edge of the bed. She pulled the string of her robe tight around her.
“Where do you think you are going?” Dwight asked.
“To the bathroom to give you time to calm down because you’re going out of your mind.”
“Oh, no you’re not,” Dwight said grabbing her arm. “You are going to stay right here until we get to the bottom of this. I saw Rev. Dorsett pulling out of my driveway at three in the morning. DJ told me about him coming over the two nights I’ve been away and that you let him in through the side door. Here I am ministering to God’s people and you are here whoring around with Rev. Dorsett and yet you parade yourself like you’re a faithful godly wife and first lady.”
“You have no proof of that,” Rosalind said. “And let go of my arm; you’re hurting me.”
“So now you’re calling me a liar,” Dwight said tightening his grip on her arm.
“Ow! You’re hurting me.” She twisted her arm from his grasp. “You’re calling yourself a liar. Not me. Like I said, your eyes are playing tricks on you. You need to get some sleep.” Massaging her arm, she marched past him to the bathroom. Dwight followed closely behind.
“You’re a lying, whorish woman. What kind of a wife are you? What kind of a Christian are you? How could you do this to me? To the family? To the ministry? I can’t believe I married someone as treacherous as you,” he said.
“I’ve done nothing to you and the family or to the ministry,” Rosalind said. “And can you keep it down; the children are asleep. And you don’t need to follow me into the bathroom.”
Rosalind proceeded to close the door but Dwight shoved it open and grabbed Rosalind by the arm. “I’ll teach you never to do that again. No man is supposed to be in my house at three in the morning without me being here, with my children asleep, and my wife awake. You don’t see anything wrong with that picture?”
Dwight swung Rosalind around to face him. She slipped and bashed her head against the mirror on the wall. Rosalind cried out as the glass shattered and blood trickled down her forehead.
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family stories. You may purchase a copy of this novel and any other Christian fiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.