Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Novels podcast episode #358. Today we are reading chapter 49 of the novel “All the Bishop’s Children” by Daniel Whyte III with Meriqua Whyte.
DJ got up early on Saturday morning and was out in the front yard practicing doing the wheelie on his bicycle. He rode on the back wheel while twisting and turning. He tried riding on the front wheel but his bicycle almost tipped over pitching him forward.
“I can do better than that,” Kennedy said with a laugh. “Why didn’t you wake me up?”
“Because I didn’t want to be disturbed. This takes concentration,” DJ said. “Is Mom finished with breakfast yet? I can’t compete on an empty stomach. I need all the energy I can get.”
“Nope,” Kennedy said. He pulled his bicycle from under the car porch and joined his brother on the lawn.
DJ made a sharp turn around the side of the house towards the back. Kennedy followed as closely as he could. When he cut the corner he saw DJ picking himself up off the ground. Kennedy burst out laughing.
“If that’s the best you can do then you’re gonna lose the competition,” Kennedy said. “I’m nine and I can do better than that. Watch me.”
“I’m just having a bad morning,” DJ said picking up his bicycle.
“Well, this is not the time to be having a bad morning,” Kennedy said. “Like I said, watch me.”
Kennedy rode his bicycle as hard as he could around the house—twice. He met up with his brother in the front yard. “That’s how you do it.”
“I give credit where credit’s due. But you have to do something more than that—something original. You were fast, but don’t think you’re going to enter in the competition with me and my boys,” DJ said. “You’re under-age.” DJ did a quick flip and twist. “That’s how you do it.”
“Under-age means nothing. It’s whether or not you have the skill. Now really watch me,” Kennedy said crisscrossing the lawn. He then got up on the back wheel making a move that caused DJ to open his eyes wide. “That is what I call a whirlie-gig,” Kennedy said with his head held high.
“Man, if you teach me that I’ll win the competition,” DJ said.
“Only if you let me compete,” Kennedy said.
“My boys have to vote on it.”
“They’re not your boys if you can’t tell them what to do,” Kennedy said.
“DJ and Kennedy, Mom says to come in. It’s time to eat,” eleven-year-old Rachel shouted from the front porch. “She also says if she comes out and sees tracks on her lawn you’ll both be in a world of trouble. By the way, that was a great move Kennedy.”
“Y’all better get in here now. You know Mom doesn’t like for you to have her waiting,” seven-year-old Jessica shouted behind her sister.
After laying their bicycles on the ground under the car porch, DJ and Kennedy hurried inside the house to a sumptuous breakfast of cheesy grits, fried whiting and scrambled eggs.
“Where are you two boys headed to in such a hurry?” Dwight asked his sons after they asked to be excused from the table.
“Me and my friends are just going to ride around on our bicycles and take care of business. We’ll stop by Grandma Randall to see if she needs for us to do anything for her,” DJ said.
“That’s so thoughtful of you, DJ,” Rosalind said. “How about you, Kennedy?”
“DJ said I could tag along with him,”Kennedy said with a grin while ignoring the glare DJ threw his way.
The boys said goodbye and hopped on their bicycles. When three o’clock came they still had not been by their grandmother’s house.
“They told me they were going to stop by to see if you needed for them to do anything,” Rosalind said to her mother when she stopped by to drop off some fresh vegetables she had picked up from the farmer’s market.
“Well, you know what they say: boys will be boys,” Mother Randall said. “They’re probably out exploring and having fun.”
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family stories. You may purchase a copy of this novel and any other Christian fiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
- Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
- Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
- Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
- Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
- Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
- With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.