Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Novels podcast episode #355. Today we are reading chapter 46 of the novel “All the Bishop’s Children” by Daniel Whyte III with Meriqua Whyte.
It was nearly nine on Thursday night when Dwight burst through the front door with a brown paper bag in his hand. Rosalind, who was sitting on the couch, with her Bible study materials looked up in surprise.
“What’s the problem? Is somebody chasing after you?” she asked.
“Billy. I can’t miss Billy Graham,” Dwight said turning the television on to the live airing of the Billy Graham 3-day crusade being held in South Carolina. “I had forgotten all about it until I heard the announcement at the radio station. Where are the children? I want them to listen to him. He’s a great man of God.”
“The children are already asleep,” Rosalind said with finality. “You know they have school in the morning. DJ might still be up. I told him to stay in his room and read or watch television until he falls asleep.”
“DJ!” Dwight shouted. “DJ, come on out here.”
“Dwight, you’re going to wake the other children up,” Rosalind said.
Dwight sat down in his easy chair. “Go wake the other children up. I don’t want them to miss any of this preaching. Listen to that great singing. Thank God he hasn’t started preaching yet.”
“Dwight, the children are–”
“Go get them,” Dwight said without taking his eyes off the television.
“Hi, Dad,” DJ said as he walked into the living room.
“Hey, DJ. I want you and your siblings to listen to Billy Graham with me.”
Rosalind returned to the living room with Rachel, Kennedy, and Jessica. The children sat down on the floor next to DJ.
“Daddy!” Jessica said reaching up to her father.
“Come up here and sit on my lap, little boo,” Dwight said placing his youngest daughter on his lap. “Did you children have a good day today?”
“Yes, Dad,” they all said.
“I woke you up because I want you all to listen to Billy Graham with me,” Dwight said.
“Dad, we listen to him preach every Monday,” Kennedy said.
“Yes, I know that. Tonight he’s holding a special crusade in South Carolina and I want us to listen to him,” Dwight said.
Rosalind who had picked up her Bible and study material started towards their bedroom.
“Where are you going, Rosalind? Sit down and listen with us,” Dwight said without taking his eyes off the television. “Come on, children. Let’s make a joyful noise unto the Lord with George Beverly Shea. That will help wake you up. Say, Rosalind, do you think I could get a little concert with Mr. Shea? Don’t you think we’d make quite a team?”
Rosalind rolled her eyes as she sat back down on the couch.
Bring them in, Bring them in
Bring the wandering ones to Jesus.
The children tried singing along, but they stumbled over most of the words. Even Rosalind had a smile on her face as she listened to the children trying to sing this ‘new’ song.
“They sure sing differently from how we sing at church,” Rachel said as she picked up the brown bag that was lying on the floor next to Dwight’s chair.
“Here, Dad,” she said handing him the bag.
“Oh, I had forgotten all about that,” Dwight said. He pulled out a package of Lorna Doone cookies from the bag and divided it up among himself and the children. “It can’t get any better than this, eating Lorna Doone cookies while listening to the greatest preacher of all time. Rosalind, why don’t you get me and the children some milk to go with the cookies. Hurry. He’s getting ready to preach.”
For the next hour, Dwight and his family listened as Billy Graham spoke the Word of Truth.
“He is on to something,” Dwight said after the preaching. “He is definitely on to something — salvation only through Jesus Christ and nothing else. He said those words at least five times. I’d do anything to go to one of his meetings. I need to find out when he’s coming to Alabama. We can make it a family thing and stay in a hotel for that week depending on where he’ll be preaching.”
“We can put on a huge conference like that someday too,” Rosalind said, “especially if everyone in our denomination comes together as one.”
“There you go again,” Dwight said. “Can’t you just be happy for the success of others without wanting to compete with them? Anyway, I’ll find out his schedule for the rest of the year. I can probably write to his ministry or something. Who knows? He might just end up here in Fairhope, Alabama.”
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family stories. You may purchase a copy of this novel and any other Christian fiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.