The world-famous Rockettes have been forced to cancel the remainder of their Christmas Spectacular shows at Radio City Music Hall after production members were hit with COVID-19 on Friday as cases in New York City continue to climb.
In news that has cast a distinctive chill over New York City, producers announced that the final curtain had fallen for the $100-million-a-season show.
‘We regret that we are unable to continue the Christmas Spectacular this season due to increasing challenges from the pandemic,’ a press release stated.
The Rockettes, who have been a beloved holiday staple enjoyed by kids and adults since 1933, are the latest not be able to return to the stage anytime soon because of the resurgence of the virus and the new Omicron variant.
Nearly eight percent of COVID tests are coming back positive and the positivity rate from December 9 to December 12 has doubled from 3.9 percent to 7.8 percent, said Jay Varma, senior public health advisor to Mayor Bill de Blasio.
New York’s governor, Kathy Hochul, on Friday stressed that she had no intention of enforcing another lockdown, saying that her job was about protecting both New Yorkers’ health and economy.
She urged tourists to continue to visit the nation’s biggest city, and said New Yorkers should continue to live their everyday lives – albeit vaccinated, boosted, and respecting mask mandates.
Yet restaurants and bars – barometers of the city’s vitality – were taking matters into their own hands and closing on their own accord. Several said they were closing because COVID among staff meant they did not have enough employees to serve their customers.
New Yorkers, anticipating one of the most socially active weekends of the year, were left with empty calendars as plans were rapidly cancelled amid rising COVID concern.
Earlier on Friday, the production team behind the Rockettes said it was canceling just its Friday shows.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: Daily Mail, Gina Martinez and Harriet Alexander