Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Novels podcast episode #352. Today we are reading chapter 43 of the novel “All the Bishop’s Children” by Daniel Whyte III with Meriqua Whyte.
Dwight’s pastoral duties at the church began to increase as more people became members. Dwight was being called on more to speak on social issues in the community of Newhope. He, in his own way, had become a leader among the people as he gave off a spirit of genuine love and compassion for them. He would sometimes drive around town tooting his car horn at the folks, waving and shouting a greeting here and there. “That’s what it’s all about: loving all people with God’s love,” he said to his sons who he often took with him as he rode around town.
Dwight’s air time on the radio was increased to one hour each day. From out of that, he produced a Gospel album in which his mother-in-law played a vital role. He offered to clean the radio station in exchange for free air time. Sometimes DJ and his brother would accompany their father and help him as he cleaned the radio station.
“I know you boys can think of a hundred things you would rather do on a Monday night than help clean up a dirty radio station; but a big part of life is doing dirty jobs and doing things you don’t like to do as you will find out as you get older. Any way, a dirty job is not a dirty job if you do it for the glory of God,” Dwight told his sons one evening when DJ displayed a bad attitude when he was asked to empty the ash trays.
“If Dad thinks I’m going to spend my life emptying ash trays and emptying other people’s trash cans, then he’d better think again,” DJ whispered to his brother when Dwight left the room. “There are a hundred things I could be doing right now.”
“Yeah, like what?” Kennedy asked.
“Like riding my bicycle in the rain, or maybe trying to outrun the train–”
“Or walking across the beam on the bridge like you’re some acrobat or something,” Kennedy said laughing. “You had better be glad Dad and Mom never found out.”
“Yeah, that was kind of stupid. But I had fun doing it.” DJ chuckled as he resumed picking up the trash off the floor so his father could mop.
“If I was Dad, I’d quit this job and focus on the church,” Kennedy said. “Or focus on just singing and recording. He could make a lot of money doing just that. I’d travel from place to place like the Sensational Nightingales and Diana Ross and the Supremes, and I’d charge people a bundle to listen to me.”
“Aren’t you too young to be talking about making money?” DJ said to his brother.
“Not me. I’m going to make a lot of money and buy me a big house and do whatever I want to do.”
“I hear you. Ain’t nothing wrong with making good money,” DJ said with a laugh. “Well, let’s hurry up ’cause I’m ready to go home and watch some television.”
“I’m glad to see you boys are having fun,” Dwight said walking into the room. “What’s so funny?”
DJ and Kennedy looked at each other. “Just something Kennedy said,” DJ said. “Anything else you want us to do, Dad?”
“I think that’s all,” Dwight said. “You boys can wait in the break room while I mop the floor. While we wait for the floor to dry we can pick the trash up outside, then we’ll be good to go.”
“Okay, Dad,” DJ and Kennedy said as they headed for the break room.
“Man,” DJ said. “I hope there’s nobody outside ’cause I don’t want my friends or anybody seeing me picking up trash outside of a radio station. They’ll laugh me to scorn for sure.”
“So did you boys have fun?” Dwight asked his sons on the drive home.
“I did,” Kennedy said.
“It was okay,” DJ said. “Dad, I thought now that you’re a big time pastor you didn’t have to do this kind of work anymore,” DJ said after some time had passed.
“I really don’t have to do this, son. I’m only doing it to be a help and a blessing to others and to show my appreciation for them letting me have some free radio time.”
DJ was thoughtful on the rest of the drive home.
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family stories. You may purchase a copy of this novel and any other Christian fiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.