Tufts University Lacrosse Player Dies at 20 After Choking During Charity Hot Dog Eating Contest

A Tufts University lacrosse player died after she choked during a hot dog eating contest for charity, officials said.

Madelyn “Madie” Lee Nicpon, 20, of Suffern, New York, was involved in an accident Saturday afternoon at an off-campus house in the small city of Somerville, just 3 miles northwest of Boston, Massachusetts, the university said in a statement. At the time of the incident, Nicpon was participating in a hot dog eating contest as part of a charity fundraiser and choked, according to authorities, the Rockland/Westchester Journal News reported.

A Somerville police spokesperson did not confirm that detail when contacted Thursday by NBC News.

“After first responders performed life-saving procedures on site, Madie was transported to Mt. Auburn Hospital and subsequently transferred to Massachusetts General Hospital, where she passed away on Sunday afternoon,” the university said.

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: NBC News, Wilson Wong