Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Novels podcast episode #347. Today we are reading chapter 38 of the novel “All the Bishop’s Children” by Daniel Whyte III with Meriqua Whyte.
The meeting was a tremendous success. Many joined the New Hope Pentecostal Holiness Church as Dwight challenged the attendees throughout the week to return to their first love:
“Ephesians chapter five likens our relationship with Christ to the relationship between the husband and the wife. Do you remember when you just got married and you were in your honeymoon period? You could not get enough of each other. You talked to each other every chance you got. In fact, when you temporarily ran out of things to talk about, you just sat there and held the phone and breathed at each other. You spent as much time as you could with each other. Your thoughts were: What can I get him or her? What can I do for him or her? Is that not right? But something happened and you began to stray away from each other; you no longer want to be around each other. Why? Because you lost your first love.
“It is the same with your love for Jesus. When you just met Jesus you were in love with Him, and you went through that honeymoon period with Him, and you thought about Him every waking hour, and you did all you could to show Him how much you love Him. But something happened and you no longer love Jesus like you used to; you no longer read His Word like you used to; you don’t talk to Him as much as you used to; you don’t talk to others about Him like you used to; you don’t even come to church as often as you used to and definitely not with the same eagerness as you used to. Is that not right? What happened?
“You lost your first love. The honeymoon is over with. But David tells us ‘O taste and see that the Lord is good.’ God is still good. So why don’t you still love Him like you used to? The Bible says you ought to love God with all your heart, all your might, and all your mind, soul, and spirit. Love God with everything that you have. Why don’t you still love God?
“The songwriter says, The love of God is greater far than tongue or pen can ever tell / It goes beyond the highest star and reaches to the lowest hell. That’s some love. Isn’t it? So why don’t you still love God?
“Some of you are saying right now: ‘Brother Dwight, I still love God but . . .’ You still love God, but . . .? But what? Only you can complete the ‘but’ statement. But my Bible says Jesus said, ‘If you really love Me, you’d keep My commandments.’ If you still love God, you’d still be obeying Him. Your prayer ought to be: Take me back to that place where I first believed in You. Come to the altar, tonight, dear saints. The doors of the church are open.”
* * * * *
“Brother Dwight, God certainly used you this week,” Apostle Morton said as they met for lunch the Saturday following the meeting.
“God’s love will do it every time because love is what it is,” Dwight said.
“Now I know you mentioned returning to Georgia today, but as I expressed to you, I’d love for you and your family to join us in our services on tomorrow,” Apostle Morton said. “Remember I told you I had something very important I wanted to discuss with you. Well, as you can see I am getting on up in age what with my grey hair and failing health. I am seventy-six years old and I am ready to turn over the work the Lord used me to start here in New Hope to someone I have every confidence will faithfully carry on the work for God’s glory. I’ve been thinking of passing the baton on to my own son, but after praying about it, the Lord showed me that my son is not fit for such a task. The Lord showed me that he won’t be faithful and he’s just going to run it into the ground. So I’m going to break tradition and pass it on to someone outside of the family.”
“Who do you have in mind?” Dwight asked.
“Only one name keeps coming to my mind each time I pray and that name is Dwight Kensington Jacobs, The Song Bird.
Dwight let out a deep belly laugh. “You’re kidding me, right?”
“Do you see me laughing? God wants you to take over this church while I move down to warm sunny Florida where the weather is better for my health,” Apostle Morton said. “You shucked the corn every night this week. That only solidified my decision. Even Apostle Dunbar is in agreement.”
“You talked with Apostle Dunbar about this?” Dwight asked.
“Oh, yes. He’s a long time friend of mine. We discuss a lot of things. He’s been praying with me about it for some time now and we touched and agreed on it Wednesday after you both preached.”
“I don’t feel I am worthy to take over this great work the Lord has blessed you to do all these years,” Dwight said. “I’m sure there are more experienced preachers who would do a better job at it than I would. I mean, I have no preaching experience whatsoever.”
“As long as you’re saved and you’ve been walking with God faithfully and being obedient to Him, as far as I’m concerned, you can do the job. So, I won’t accept ‘no’ for an answer,” Apostle Morton said.
“Well, I’m honored,” Dwight said. “Don’t I even get time to pray about it?”
“No. I have done all the praying for you; you just need to accept the offer,” Apostle Morton said.
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family stories. You may purchase a copy of this novel and any other Christian fiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.