Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Novels podcast episode #345. Today we are reading chapter 36 of the novel “All the Bishop’s Children” by Daniel Whyte III with Meriqua Whyte.
“She won’t be needing the building,” Dwight told Mr. Dwyer the next day. “She tends to jump ahead of herself at times.”
* * * * *
“You did what?” Rosalind said to her husband later that evening when he told her he spoke with Mr. Dwyer. “You’ve really messed up now. I told you not to stick your big head into what does not concern you.”
“It does concern me when you’re getting ready to run the family into the ground. You need somebody to lay hands on you and cast that spending demon out of you,” Dwight said with a chuckle.
A phone call from Mother Randall interrupted their conversation.
“Dwight, it’s so good to hear your voice. How are my grand-babies doing? When are you all coming back to visit? How is Mama Tess? I miss you all so much.”
“Hello, Mother. What’s happening down there in Fairhope, Alabama?”
“We’re being blessed! We’re being blessed!” Mother said. “Have you heard from Apostle Morton? He mentioned having you over to preach a one week revival for him. We are so excited. Are you going to come and preach for us? They’re still talking about how blessed they were when you came and sang for us.”
“Now, Mother, you know I am no preacher,” Dwight said.
“Well, you got to start some time,” Mother said. “I’m just bragging about you to everybody and how God’s put a calling on your life. I’m so proud you’re my son-in-law. Yes, siree, the Song Bird is just the beginning. I claim it and I declare it.”
Dwight laughed. “Mother, you’re too much.”
“It’s strange you called at this time, but you may be the one to talk some sense into her head as she’s at it again.” Dwight shared with his mother-in-law all that had transpired since she left to go to Alabama.
“Put her on the phone and I’ll try talking to her,” Mother said. “Now you stay close to the phone as Apostle Morton will be calling you.”
* * * * *
Dwight was in a contemplative mood over the next two weeks as he kept turning over in his mind the conversation he and Apostle Morton had, and he just marveled at how good God is. Lord, I can’t believe You put Your hand upon a little old nobody like me in this way.
“Apostle Morton, I count it an honor that you would even consider me. But why me? I have never really preached before. I’m sure there are other preachers who have been preaching for years who could better fill your pulpit for the revival.”
“That is true, but I see something in you. You’re a humble person and you’re not trying to push yourself forward. From what I’ve seen of you, I believe you deeply fear God, and there’s no telling how God can use a man who fears Him,” Apostle Morton said.
“He’s a mighty good God, and He’s been good to me,” Dwight said. “Why don’t you just have a Gospel concert and I’ll be the guest singer rather than the guest preacher?”
Apostle Morton laughed. “Don’t try to get out of it, Brother Dwight. God told me you’re the one. The Gospel songs you sing — just remove the music and preach the words of the song to us. How about that? If the words can bless us through song, then the same words ought to bless us without music.”
“On a serious note, though, God told me to have you to be our main preacher for the entire week. You won’t be alone as we’re all praying for you,” Apostle Morton said. “There’s another reason I want you to preach and I’ll talk to you about it at the end of the week; for right now, just preach preacher, preach!”
* * * * *
What should have been an extremely joyous week for Rosalind leading up to the revival was a turbulent one.
“Aren’t you happy for me?” Dwight asked.
“Believe me. I am happy for you,” Rosalind said.
“Well, your face and tone of voice could have fooled me,” Dwight said. “Do you know why you’re not happy? It’s because you’re still scheming and because you did not have an input in Apostle Morton’s decision. Anyway, I thought you always wanted me to be a preacher. Well, here it is, I am a preacher.”
“I don’t have time for your sarcastic remarks,” Rosalind said, then added, “You could have been preaching at your own church a long time ago.”
“What’s the last thing you just muttered?” Dwight said.
“Dwight, I’m glad Apostle Morton called on you. Okay? Now go study and pray so you can have the power upon you next week.”
“What do you want me to preach on? I’m sure you have a bunch of ideas,” Dwight said picking up his Bible. “Now you know you’ll have to get the week off from your job because it’s too far to travel back and forth for a whole week especially for the children and Mama Tess because we’ll all be going.”
Rosalind sighed. I knew this was going to happen, she thought before answering. “I just started the job. I can’t leave for a whole week. It won’t be that far for you, me and even for Mama Tess to travel back and forth. Eva can watch the children for us that way they won’t miss school. Or they could just spend the week with Mother Charlene.”
“That will not be happening,” Dwight said.
“Mama Tess can sleep during the day time like she normally does and you and I are young enough to rough it for a week. I can work half a day each day for that week, I’m sure,” Rosalind continued.
“We’ll see,” Dwight said. “And I’m sure you won’t mind us using your new car for this special occasion. Is that not right?”
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family stories. You may purchase a copy of this novel and any other Christian fiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
- Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
- Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
- Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
- Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
- Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
- With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.