Total Time: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min. + simmering
Makes: 16 servings (4 quarts)
- 1 meaty leftover turkey carcass (from an 11-pound turkey)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 6 cups water
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- soup ingredients:
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- In a stock pot, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 hours.
- Remove carcass and allow to cool. Remove meat and set aside 4 cups for soup (refrigerate any remaining meat for another use); discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and bay leaf.
- Return broth to pan; add the onion, celery, carrots and beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add corn, peas and reserved turkey. Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Combine biscuit mix and milk. Drop by teaspoonfuls into simmering broth. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering).
SOURCE: Taste of Home