Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Novels podcast episode #343. Today we are reading chapter 34 of the novel “All the Bishop’s Children” by Daniel Whyte III with Meriqua Whyte.
The first Sunday after the church disbanded, Rosalind got up as usual, got dressed, and was heading out the door when Dwight stopped her.
“Wait a minute. The children and I are coming with you today,” he said.
“I don’t have time to wait. I’m running late as it is already,” Rosalind said tightening her grip on her purse while adjusting Jessica in her arms. “Plus, aren’t you supposed to be singing at Mt. Providence today?”
“Aw, they can do without me for one Sunday.”
“Who’s going with Mama Tess?”
“She’ll ride with Eva. It’s all been arranged,” Dwight said. “Come on, children.”
To Rosalind’s chagrin, Dwight, DJ, Rachel, and Kennedy marched out the front door and into her car. After taking her place in the driver’s seat, she backed out the driveway and drove slowly down the street.
“Seems to me you would drive a bit faster if you’re running so late,” Dwight said.
“I’m the one driving,” Rosalind said.
“Hey, I thought Tammi’s house was down that street,” Dwight said pointing to his left.
Rosalind blew and rolled her eyes. She parked before a small shop jammed between two other shops. The two front windows, one on either side of the door, had burglar bars over them. A hand-written sign was barely visible through one of the windows. It read: NEW BIRTH APOSTOLIC CHURCH, Overseer: Rosalind Randall-Jacobs.
“I see you all got a new building,” Dwight said.
Ignoring her husband’s comment, Rosalind hurried into the building. Five people—two women, one teenage girl, one little boy, and a man in his late fifties—were sitting down on the few folding chairs in the room.
“Good morning! Good morning!” Rosalind said. “So glad you all could come out to be with us today. Others will be joining us. Let’s give them about another five minutes then we’ll begin. You can fellowship while I look over my sermon.”
Dwight set the children down as he greeted those already present.
“I’m Dwight, Rosalind’s husband, and these are our children.”
Rosalind, who had taken a seat by the makeshift pulpit of four crates stacked one on top of each other and covered with a maroon tablecloth, and who appeared to be going over her sermon rolled her eyes as she heard her husband mention how they were related. I do not know why he had to come. She called the services to order so as not to give Dwight room for further conversation. At the end of the services, she called upon him to minister to them in song.
“I didn’t know the Song Bird was your husband,” one of the women said. “I’ll be back to hear him again, and I’ll definitely bring some others with me.”
A Mr. Dwyer entered the building while Rosalind was saying goodbye to the last attendee. Oh, no! Rosalind moaned within.
“Mrs. Jacobs, I came by with the papers for you to sign,” Mr. Dwyer said handing some papers to Rosalind.
Dwight looked on with curiosity as Rosalind quickly took the papers. “I’ll stop by and go over it with you on tomorrow,” she said. “I do thank you for stopping by.”
“We agreed to finalize it today,” Mr. Dwyer said.
“Excuse me, sir, I’m her husband. What are you both talking about?”
“Pleased to meet you, Mr. Jacobs. I’m Mr. Dwyer. I’m referring to the rental agreement for the use of this building on Sundays and on Wednesday evenings.”
Dwight reached out to take the papers from Rosalind. “I don’t know anything about this. When did you rent this building?” he asked his wife.
Rosalind balked as she reluctantly released the contract to her husband. “Well, we needed a place since we can’t meet at Tammi’s anymore, so I searched for another place to meet.”
“Where are Tammi and the others anyway?” Dwight asked. “I thought you all had disbanded the church.”
“They couldn’t make it,” Rosalind said.
“Is it they couldn’t make it or they’re never going to make it?” Dwight asked.
“Look, Dwight, if you don’t mind, this is between Mr. Dwyer and me,” Rosalind said.
“No, it’s between us and Mr. Dwyer,” Dwight said. “You rent a building . . . for how much now?”
“$350 per month,” Mr. Dwyer said.
“See, woman, here you go again,” Dwight said shaking his head in disbelief. “How do you plan on paying $350 per month? And I know you don’t have the money. Mr. Dwyer, when did you all talk about this?”
Mr. Dwyer cleared his throat. “My building was up for rent and a little over a week ago, your wife called and said she was interested in renting it, but would not have the down payment of $450 until the end of the month, but that she needed to begin using it today. After she told me it was for her church that had been meeting at a friend’s house, I told her she could use it this Sunday and next Wednesday and pay me at the end of the month. I figured a church that’s been going on for a while should have some money saved up; $350 is as low as I can go.”
“Well, they don’t have the money and neither do they have any people,” Dwight said. “And as her husband, I don’t have the money to pay for her rebellious dream. The church had its last meeting this past Sunday.”
“I guess you won’t be needing this then,” Mr. Dwyer said pointing to the contract in Rosalind’s hand.
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family stories. You may purchase a copy of this novel and any other Christian fiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.