Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Novels podcast episode #341. Today we are reading chapter 32 of the novel “All the Bishop’s Children” by Daniel Whyte III with Meriqua Whyte.
* * * * *
Wednesday evening saw Rosalind hurrying off to Bible study at Tammi’s house. Things had been cool between them since Rosalind left her hanging the week she visited her mother in Fairhope, Alabama. That night’s Prayer Meeting and Praise Service was shorter than usual.
“You all are welcome to hang around and fellowship for a while,” Tammi said. “But if you’ll excuse our leaders, we’ll be having an important meeting.”
Tammi, Coralee, and Marybeth left the other members in the living room. Rosalind followed behind them to the family den in the back of the house.
“I didn’t know we all were having a meeting,” Rosalind said taking a seat on the sofa next to Coralee.
“We can’t keep up with you,” Tammi said. “I called your house several times but you’re never there. I didn’t bother to leave any messages because I’m not sure what has been going on with you since you came back from visiting your mother.”
“We also heard through the grapevine that you got a job,” Coralee said. “When did you plan on telling us? Not that it’s any of our business.”
“I was going to tell you,” Rosalind said. “I just wanted to make sure I was secure in my job position. And if you all want to know where, it’s at the pharmacy and I love it.”
The ladies exchanged glances of disapproval.
“I called this meeting because after sharing some things with you, ladies, and getting your feedback we have come to a crossroads in our ministry: a major decision has to be made,” Tammi said. “And this has to be put into effect within the next two weeks.”
“Excuse me, but what things did you all share? I don’t recall you sharing anything with me,” Rosalind said.
“I had a long talk with Apostle Dunbar about a week ago,” Tammi said. “He shared with me his vision for a great women’s ministry that will impact not only our small town here in Augusta; but it will spread all up and down this side of the country all the way up to New York. He has contacts and he’s partnering with some other churches in the denomination. I can’t begin to tell you what all he shared with me.”
Rosalind straightened her back. “Exactly what are you saying?” she asked.
“I’m saying we may want to consider joining up with him and the Pillar of Truth Church family,” Tammi said.
“In other words,” Coralee piped in, “we’re thinking of disbanding this church and going back to the Church of the Living God Pillar of Truth Apostolic where Apostle Dunbar is overseer.”
“You can’t do that!” Rosalind said.
“Says who?” Marybeth said.
“Says me. I started this church,” Rosalind said.
“No. We started this church,” Tammi said. “You would not have a church without us.”
“And you were not even thinking of starting a church until I mentioned it,” Rosalind retorted back. “This is my church and it’s going to continue.”
“Says who?” Marybeth said again.
“Says me,” Rosalind said looking from one face to the other.
“After that long talk I had with Apostle Dunbar and with Ketura,” Tammi continued, “and after thinking about it and turning things over in my head, the more I’m beginning to realize we went about this the wrong way. We tried to usurp his authority, and –”
“Here we go again,” Rosalind said rolling her eyes.
“As I was saying,” Tammi continued, “it’s getting to be stressful and I’ve had two ladies to share with me that it’s adding stress to their marriage and family as their husbands have refused to join them over here. They shared with me that they and their husbands are arguing more and there is constant unrest between them.”
“They just need to stand their ground,” Rosalind muttered.
“We heard that,” Marybeth said. “How would you like to be arguing with your husband every time you get ready for church or every time you come home from church. You might can go for days not talking to your husband and come to church acting like all is well; I can’t do that and I refuse to carry on like that any more. I’d rather close this church down and keep a good relationship with my husband.”
“Are you trying to say me and my husband are not getting along?” Rosalind said scooting to the edge of her seat. “Because if that’s what you are insinuating, you’d better watch it because you don’t know nothing about what takes place between me and my husband.”
“I’m just saying,” Marybeth said.
“Ahm, Rosalind, we did hear that you and your husband were not getting along; and how comes he hasn’t been over here to at least bless us with some Gospel singing? He’s still the Song Bird, isn’t he?” Coralee said quietly.
“As I was saying,” Tammi said, “after talking with Apostle Dunbar, I went ahead and apologized to him for disturbing his church and for allowing the devil to use me like that . . . which is more than some of us are willing to do.”
“Are you calling me the devil?” Rosalind said straightening her back.
An uneasy silence settled in the room.
“Those in favor of us disbanding within the next two weeks and returning to Pillar of Truth raise your hand,” Tammi said. “All who oppose may leave.”
All raised their hands except for Rosalind. She shot up out of her seat. “Well, I’ll just get my own building and get people who I can work with.”
Rosalind marched angrily out the room and out the door to her car.
* * * * *
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family stories. You may purchase a copy of this novel and any other Christian fiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.