Total Time: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 55 min. + standing
Makes: 6 servings
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup meatless pasta sauce
- 1 package (14 ounces) frozen potato and cheese pierogi, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1 cup frozen cubed butternut squash (about 5 ounces)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9×5-in. loaf pan with foil, letting ends extend up sides; grease foil.
- In a small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic, basil, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat.
- Spread 1/2 cup pasta sauce into prepared pan. Top with pierogi; press firmly. Top with onion mixture. Mix spinach and egg; spoon over onion mixture. Spread squash evenly over spinach; spoon remaining 1/2 cup pasta sauce over top. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until bubbly and cheese is golden brown, 55-65 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes. Lifting with foil, remove from pan. Cut into slices. Serve with sour cream, if desired.
SOURCE: Taste of Home