Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Novels podcast episode #320. Today we are reading chapter 11 of the novel “All the Bishop’s Children” by Daniel Whyte III with Meriqua Whyte.
Dwight and Mama Tess enjoyed the up-lifting service at Mt. Providence Baptist Church. Dwight almost brought the house down with his singing when he sang ‘I Hear Music in the Air’. Even though God used him greatly to minister to the people, he was disturbed in spirit. After fellowshipping for a short while with some of the congregants, he excused himself.
“Mama Tess, I’m going to stop by the Church of the Living God Pillar of Truth and see what’s going on over there. You’re welcome to come with me; if not, I’ll get Sister Beatrice to take you home when you get ready. You have your key to the house, right?”
“I do. You go on ahead. It would be nice of you to surprise Rosalind with a visit,” his mother said.
When Dwight got to the Church of the Living God Pillar of Truth he had to park nearly half a block up the street as the church’s parking lot was full. They must really have it going on in there, he thought as he walked up the walkway leading to the front door. He was met with hearty singing as the combined choirs closed the first services out with one of their uplifting songs.
Dwight slipped in and stood at the end of the back pew scanning the auditorium for his wife’s wide-brimmed lavender hat with feathers. He hurried after her as she was making her way through the auditorium with three other ladies greeting anyone who crossed her path. Apostle Perry had already made his way to the back of the church to greet the people as they filed out.
Catching up with his wife, he held on firmly to her arm. Rosalind turned around. “Surprised to see you here,” she said with a smile. “I didn’t think you would come.”
“I thought I would stop by and see what’s going on over here,” Dwight said looking around. “Seems like you all are doing quite well. There’s an excitement in the air.”
“That’s because the Lord is with us. By the way, you just missed some dynamic preaching. Oh, man! Rev. Dr. Jerome Bennett is a dynamic preacher. He’s going to be preaching the other service as well. Come let me introduce you to Apostle Perry, his wife and the others.”
“Apostle Perry,” Rosalind said approaching him. “I don’t know whether or not you have ever heard of Dwight Jacobs Sr.—the great Gospel radio singer?”
“I believe I have,” Apostle Perry said. “Is he here?”
“Yes, here he is, and he happens to be my husband,” Rosalind said proudly.
“He’s your husband! Why didn’t you say so earlier. We could have placed him on the program. It’s so good to finally meet you,” Apostle Perry said shaking Dwight’s hand. “God bless you!”
“He’s ready to minister to us,” Rosalind said.
“Brother Dwight, you are on the roster for this evening’s celebration service,” Apostle Perry said. “I hope that’s enough notice.”
“Yes, Apostle Perry. I’m always ready to minister to the saints,” Dwight said.
“Mama Tess, I was so blessed. I tell you, no matter what denomination we are we can fellowship because it’s all because of Jesus,” Dwight shared with his mother when he and Rosalind returned home. “There is nothing like a group of believers coming together to fellowship around the preached Word. I tell you: it does not matter what denomination you are—Jesus is Lord.”
“So does this mean you’re going to begin coming to the Church of the Living God Pillar of Truth with me?” Rosalind said. “You fit right in.”
“I make no commitment,” Dwight said. “I’m no stranger to anybody; I fit in anywhere I am.”
“Mama Tess, you should have been there. While Rev. Dr. Jerome Bennett, the visiting preacher, was preaching, I actually had a vision of Dwight in the pulpit ministering to thousands not just through song, but through the preaching of God’s Word. I told Dwight I believe God was showing me something.”
“Tell her what you told me,” Dwight said.
“The Lord wants you to launch out and go full-time for Him. I mean, what’s the hold up?”
“You have to count the cost: time, finances, building, people—the whole nine yards. What did Jesus say? What man sets about to build a house and does not consider the cost. You can’t just jump into it. Besides, I have to make sure God is calling me and not you calling me,” Dwight said. “I don’t want to be a mama-called preacher or a wife-called preacher, I want to be a God-called preacher.”
“God is calling you. That vision was not in vain,” Rosalind insisted. “You have to learn to move forward by faith. And if money is a problem, I’ll go get a job.”
“I don’t think you need to,” Dwight said. “You already have a job taking care of little DJ and we have another baby on the way. You’ll be busy enough working in the house. I do not want you out there working.”
“It would help us not to live a hand to mouth existence,” Rosalind muttered.
“We’re living within our means. We have food, clothing, and shelter with a little to splurge now and then.”
“Mama Tess, he’s your son; you talk to him,” Rosalind said.
“There’s no rush. You all have been here almost two years now,” Mama Tess said. “Give him some more time to pray about it.”
Rosalind sighed. All I know is, I won’t be wasting all my young years staying home when I could be making money to give my children what I did not have, and what is rightfully theirs. I’m going to work for my own money and spend it when and where I please.
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family stories. You may purchase a copy of this novel and any other Christian fiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.