Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Novels podcast episode #301. Today we are reading chapter 31 of the novel “I Know What Prayer Can Do” by Daniel Whyte III with Meriqua Whyte.
Dr. Cruz looked Gravlin in the eyes. “I do not know where this came from, but I did not sign any such paper.”
“How do you account for your signature on it then?”
“It’s clear. Diego Francia forged my signature,” Dr. Cruz said without blinking. “I don’t know how much you know about our profession, but before we administer any medication—even a headache pill—or perform surgery except in an emergency or administer care of any kind, patients and/or their guardians are required to sign a paper after we’ve discussed the advantages, disadvantages, side effects, or anything negative that may result, thus releasing me or any other doctor from any harm that may come to the patient.” Fishing through the papers Gravlin had given him to look over, Dr. Cruz said, “It’s strange, but I do not see that consent form among these. Francia must have switched it out and replaced it with this forged one.” Chuckling, Dr. Cruz added, “I must say he did an excellent job forging not only my signature but my office’s letterhead.”
Dr. Cruz called one of his assistants into his office. “Nurse Margaret, this is Tucker Gravlin. I don’t know if you recall the unfortunate situation we had with a person called Diego Francia. Anyway, I’ll need for you to go back almost two years to his wife’s pregnancy and the birth of his son, and pull up all the paperwork we have on them. We should have everything on the computer as well as in their files, but check with the hospital if you need to. Make a copy of everything. Mr. Gravlin is in need of them. Get on that for me right away.”
After Nurse Margaret secured Romina and Luis Francia’s names, she hurried off to do as she was asked.
“Are you still paying Francia $1200.00 each month?” Gravlin asked.
“He’s pushed it up to $1400.00. He threatened to sue me and to drag my name in the public as incompetent and negligent. I’m in private practice so I can’t hide, so to speak, behind the hospital institution. I could not afford to have my name scandalized like that, thus risking my practice closing down. I was trapped,” Dr. Cruz said.
“Why didn’t you get a lawyer?”
“I threatened him with a lawyer, but I guess fear got the better of me.”
“Do you happen to know or hear of anyone else he’s swindling money out of?” Gravlin asked.
“No. But someone brought his dealings to the attention of the police. There was a picture of him in the newspaper about two months ago. Apparently I’m not the only one he’s been swindling money from. I’ll have to ask my wife to see if she can locate the newspaper. I did ask her to save it. Excuse me while I call her.”
Dr. Cruz exchanged a few words with his wife in Spanish.
“Excuse me for speaking in my native language, but my wife is not as fluent in English as I am. She’ll try to locate the newspaper. I kept it because I was contemplating going to the police as another witness. Now that you have turned up, I will definitely get a lawyer.”
“I encourage you to do that,” Gravlin said. “It seems he’s taken his swindling practice over to the United States where he’s now living.” Gravlin shared with him what Diego Francia was doing to Jennifer.
Dr. Cruz shook his head. “He needs to spend the rest of his life in jail. Using his mentally retarded son for his evil purposes. His wife is just as sweet as can be. She’s the complete opposite of him.”
“Do you think she’s in on this?” Gravlin asked.
“Definitely not. I don’t even think she knows the details of all that he’s doing. And whatever she may know, I believe he’s using threats to keep her quiet.”
“Dr. Cruz, I appreciate you taking the time to speak with me. I won’t keep you from your patients any longer. If nothing happens, I’ll be by tomorrow, say around eleven, to pick up the newspaper and other information.”
“Yes, eleven is fine. I have to perform a surgery at 7:30 in the morning, but Nurse Margaret will have everything for you. But I should be back by then. Please keep me informed as to what transpires.”
“I will,” Gravlin said gathering, up his papers and placing them back in his briefcase.
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family stories. You may purchase a copy of this novel and any other Christian fiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.