Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Novels podcast episode #295. Today we are reading chapter 25 of the novel “I Know What Prayer Can Do” by Daniel Whyte III with Meriqua Whyte.
After Quintin and Aubrey made copies of the lottery tickets, money order receipts made out to Diego Francia, tickets to the horse racing tracks, signed loan papers, and the signed contract, they placed the originals back in the drawer.
After dropping the papers off that evening, Quintin placed a call to Tucker Gravlin. “Yes, something looks fishy, Tucker. No one has seen or heard from her for some weeks now. She’s left a few messages on my wife’s answering machine stating that she was doing fine. My wife said that was unlike her. What we found in her apartment does not support her messages. The person in the apartment next to hers told us they hardly ever see her anymore, and when they do, she’s in a hurry. I hate to think this is a case of blackmail. Her parents have already filed a missing person report.”
“It seems like we have something here,” Gravlin said as he carefully read the contract. Pointing to the date, he said, “This contract’s going on two years now. Seems like she’s paying money indefinitely to this Diego Francia. Let me talk with Chief McGinnis to get permission to pursue this.”
Aubrey passed on a picture of Jennifer to Tucker Gravlin. Prayer was still going up among the ladies of the Restoration Reset Ministry for Jennifer’s safety.
“I’ll be checking with the airlines for the name Diego Francia. He may be an illegal immigrant. I’ll also check with the INS office to see if he may have switched citizenship.”
Jennifer drove home depressed. Something is fishy about this whole thing. Lord, please show me what’s going on, she prayed silently.
Upon arriving at her apartment, she thought of giving Aubrey a call. I so want to meet up with them at the Cherry Blossom Cafe. I wonder how things are going with Simone and Kelli. Lord, how I miss the ladies at the Restoration Reset Ministry. I miss Brad so much, she thought as she twisted the engagement ring around her finger.
Jennifer visited the horse racing tracks again the next Saturday, but lost the few dollars she bet on the horse, Fair Lady. As she lay in bed deciding what to do next, her mind went to Luis. I do know Luis was acting strangely before the fall. He hasn’t acted any differently since then. Maybe if I hang around a bit longer things will clear up. She fell asleep listening to the messages Aubrey left for her to return her phone calls.
Jennifer was called upon again to render services to the Francias two days after their return from Spain.
“We’ll be going up North for maybe a month-long stay; but this time we’ll be leaving Luis behind. He seems to have taken a liking to you and I like that. My wife will be coming with me, so we’ll need someone to keep an eye on Luis for us,” Mr. Francia informed Jennifer. “We’ll be leaving on Wednesday. ”
“I’ll accept your offer, but under one condition,” Jennifer said, “and that is that you release me of the entire payment for this month. Consider my watching Luis as payment.”
Mr. Francia was silent for a few seconds, then said, “No, no. We cannot have that. Luis’ brain will never function like other little boys. He’ll never know what it is to laugh and play and enjoy the sunshine like other little boys his age. His world will always be one of darkness, and remember, it is all because of you. You ought to be sacrificing everything in your power for him.”
“If you don’t I am going to the police,” Jennifer said firmly surprised at her own words. The past two days of turning things over in her mind and praying intensely about the situation had given her a renewed strength that left her thinking, Mr. Francia is probably used to having his own way, which includes his wife cow-tailing to everything he tells her to do. I see the fear in her eyes whenever conversation about Luis comes up.
“Okay. Okay,” Mr. Francia said. “You watch Luis while we are gone with no payment, but you pick payments back up as soon as the month is over.”
He is hiding something and he’s using Luis and his wife. She is afraid of something, Jennifer thought as she noticed his sudden change of spirit at the mention of the police.
“Remember, you must never let him out of your sight, especially when he’s in the crib or on the bed. Don’t take him outside in the heavy sun; give him sunshine through the open window. We’ve filled the cupboards with enough food for the month, so there’s no need for you to go to the store,” Mr. Francia instructed Jennifer as his wife listened quietly. “And don’t speak to the neighbors.”
While her husband took the suitcases to their van, Romina Francia said to Jennifer, “I spoke with Diego about tearing up the contract. Don’t worry. Everything will work out. I’ll talk with him some more. Call my phone if you need anything.” She stopped talking when she heard her husband coming back into the house.
“Let’s go,” he said, patting Luis on the head.
Mrs. Francia gave her son a kiss and a hug before handing him over to Jennifer. She looked deeply into Jennifer’s eyes. There was no need for words. Jennifer saw the look of sympathy mixed with fear and uncertainty in Mrs. Francia’s face as though she was struggling between two decisions. She gave Jennifer a quick hug. “Call me if you need anything,” she whispered.
“Let’s go! Let’s go!” Mr. Francia said. “Keys. Keys. Give her your keys.” He took the keys out of his wife’s hand and gave them to Jennifer.
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family stories. You may purchase a copy of this novel and any other Christian fiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.