Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Novels podcast episode #258. Today we are reading chapter 28 of the novel “I Need Someone to Pray with Me” by Daniel Whyte III with Meriqua Whyte.
The police quickly wrapped up their conversation with Kelvin.
“So this Roger—what’s his last name?” one police officer asked.
“Mullins. Roger Mullins,” Kelvin answered.
“Mullins? Where did you get that from?” Aubrey asked. She had been silent the whole time, but spoke up now. “His last name is not Mullins. It’s Hawthorne. Roger Hawthorne. I have known him for some years now. We go to the same church, and his parents are members there as well.”
Aubrey gave the police the church name and address as well as a description of Roger and his apartment address. She agreed to meet with the police at the Hawthorne’s residence after contacting them. Quintin offered to accompany her.
“I appreciate it,” Aubrey said on their way over to the Hawthorne’s. “We are probably going to need your help again.”
Mr. and Mrs. Hawthorne could not believe what the police and Aubrey told them about their son.
“We had no idea he was living this double life,” Roger’s father said. We don’t even know where he is right now. He did mention taking a trip down to Florida. Maybe he’s already headed that way.”
Aubrey gave the police a description of Keron that matched Kelvin’s description. Kelvin had given them her address, and after they left the Hawthorne’s, they spent a few hours surveying her place. Keron was eventually picked up for questioning, but they did not get much information out of her. She was still in shock and in a state of denial. The search was on for Roger as the Florida police had been put on alert.
“I hope I don’t have to go to court again,” Aubrey said to Quintin over lunch the following day.
“You may have to as a witness,” Quintin said. He was interested in the case unfolding before him as Aubrey kept him informed of what was taking place.
“By the way, remember I shared with you that one of Kelvin’s nurses had asked us to stop by one of the rooms and pray for the patient?” Aubrey said. “Alphonse, Kelvin’s friend, had stopped by and said the patient needs a lot of prayers because he was in bad shape? To date, no one knows who this person is. He has not had any visitors—not even family to stop by and visit. That’s sad.”
“It certainly is,” Quintin replied. “Did the nurse say when he was brought in?”
“I believe Alphonse said he came in a day after Kelvin did. Why?” Aubrey asked.
“Just curious.” Quintin was already questioning who this other patient was. He had begun to put together as logically as he could all he had heard about the events surrounding Kelvin’s situation from the information he had heard from Aubrey, from Mother Jamison, from Mr. and Mrs. Hawthorne, and from the police when they had questioned Kelvin. Roger may have set off for Florida immediately following the shooting. Could Roger have started this fight? Could he have shot Kelvin? Why hasn’t he at least contacted his parents? Could this Keron have anything to do with Roger’s disappearance? Does she know anything about his disappearance? This may be far-fetched, but could that unknown person in the room next to Kelvin’s be Roger? Could he have gotten into an accident trying to run away?
“Aubrey, do you mind if I go to the hospital with you the next time you go? I’d like to talk to Kelvin and I would also like to stop by the room of this other patient.”
“Sure,” Aubrey replied.
When they stopped by to visit Kelvin the next day, Alphonse was there. Aubrey introduced him to Quintin and they chatted for some time.
“How’s the patient in the next room doing?” Aubrey asked Alphonse. “I have been telling Quintin everything that has been going on including about the patient next door. He wants to stop by.”
“I’ve stopped by a few times whenever I have visited Kelvin. He’s on a very slow road to recovery, but I am still praying for him,” Alphonse said. Turning to Quintin, he said, “We can both head over there now, if you’re ready.”
Quintin and Alphonse visited room 421. Even though the patient’s head was bandaged exposing only his face, Quintin thought he looked familiar. He was in a back brace as his vertebrae was severely damaged. Quintin glanced at his chart: swelling of the brain; fractured vertebrae; spinal cord damage may result in paralysis of the legs and lower body for life. The patient’s eyes were closed. As Alphonse prayed, Quintin silently asked God to reveal to him who this unidentified person might be.
Despite all that was taking place, the Restoration Reset Ministry continued its weekly meetings. The ladies, who had been asked to join them in prayer for Kelvin’s recovery and for his salvation, were happy to hear that God had answered both prayers. Alphonse’s place was like a flower garden with all the flowers they sent for Kelvin once he returned from the hospital to fully recuperate.
“Do we hear wedding bells in the very near future?” Kelli asked Simone.
“He did ask me to marry him,” Simone replied, “but–“
“And?” the girls all asked.
“And I said, yes!” Simone exclaimed.
“Yes!” Aubrey exclaimed, hugging Simone.
“Ask and it shall be given you,” they said.
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family stories. You may purchase a copy of this novel and any other Christian fiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
- Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
- Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
- Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
- Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
- Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
- With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.” “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.