Total Time: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makes: 2 casseroles (6 servings each)
- 1 package (16 ounces) rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; return to pot. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour and salt until smooth; gradually whisk in milk and water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add eggs to pasta, tossing to coat. Divide mixture between two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. Layer each dish with one can tomato sauce, 1 cup mozzarella cheese and half of the white sauce; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, until a thermometer reads 160°, 30-35 minutes.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casseroles. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375°. Cover casserole with foil; bake 40 minutes. Uncover; bake until a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°, 7-10 minutes.