Riyadh: Multiple blasts shook Riyadh on Saturday as Saudi state television reported that a missile attack launched by Yemen’s Huthi rebels had been thwarted.
The Iran-backed Huthis have escalated attacks on the kingdom, while they step up an offensive to seize the Saudi-backed Yemeni government’s last northern stronghold of Marib.
The Saudi-led military coalition thwarted a “Huthi ballistic missile attack” targeting Riyadh, the state-run Ekhbariya television said, without specifying the number of missiles intercepted.
AFP correspondents and residents of the Saudi capital reported hearing multiple loud explosions. The night sky lit up with a bright flash following the interception of a missile, state television footage showed.
Separately, the coalition said it intercepted four Huthi drones targeting the kingdom’s southern region — two on the garrison city of Khamis Mushait, and one each on Jizan city and another unspecified location.
The rebels did not immediately claim responsibility for any of the attacks. They frequently strike the kingdom’s southern regions and have previously targeted Riyadh with missiles and drones.
Click here to read more.