Total Time: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
Makes: 8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bottle (46 ounces) V8 juice
- 4 cups water
- 8 cups shredded cabbage (about 16 ounces)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Place first 8 ingredients in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Add cabbage. Cook, covered, on low until lentils are tender, 6-8 hours.
- Stir in mushrooms and salt. Cook, covered, on low until mushrooms are tender, 15-20 minutes.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add water if necessary.
SOURCE: Taste of Home