Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Novels podcast: Holiday Edition episode #15. Today we are reading chapter 15 of the novel “The Thanksgiving Letters” by Daniel Whyte III with Meriqua Whyte.
The week of the trip to Miami for Art’s game came quickly. Barbara claimed she was still not feeling well–at least not well enough to travel such a long distance.
“Barbara, it would mean a lot to Art if you came,” Alexander told her.
“He’ll understand, Alexander. Just explain to him that physically I’m just unable to make it, but I’ll be rooting for him here at home,” his wife said.
“Do you want to know what I think, Barbara?” Alexander asked and quickly continued without waiting for her answer. “This sudden weakness and other physical symptoms you claim to be having lately are nothing but a manifestation of what is taking place in your spiritual life. You don’t have the right heart, spirit, and attitude towards your family and others; therefore, it is not right with God. You are under conviction, and you can’t keep running.”
Barbara let out a short laugh. “You studied to be a lawyer, not a preacher, and you have no idea if what you just said is true.”
“Take it however you want, but my advice to you is to get your heart right with God and stop taking the time we have left with our children for granted,” Alexander said. “You can stay home if you want to, but I will be going to my son’s game.”
Alexander said goodbye to Cambia and his grandson before pulling out to go to his office. As soon as he got there, he gave Fiona a call.
“Hello, Fiona, are you all set for the big game?”
“As ready as ever. How about you?” Fiona asked.
“I can’t wait to get there. I’m looking forward to seeing Art and Charles again.”
“Same here, but I’m also looking forward to seeing you, Alexander. Will the rest of your family be going?”
“No. My wife says she’s not been feeling well and doesn’t think she’s up to it physically. And Cambia really does not want to travel that distance with Uriah being that young, plus she has some projects to complete for a couple of her classes,” Alexander said. “Four days is too long for her to be away.”
“Have you heard anything from Cassia?” Fiona asked, clearly concerned.
“Not yet, but we’re still praying for her.”
Cambia lay on her bed with Uriah asleep on her chest.
A bell rang.
“Oh, brother!” Cambia said to herself. “If I hear that bell one more time, I am going to go crazy.”
Cambia looked at the clock. It read 2:00 am. She had just crawled into the bed an hour ago. Slipping Uriah off her chest onto the blanket, she dragged herself out of the bed and went into her mother’s room. One night of this is enough, Cambia thought.
“Okay, Mom, what do you need now?”
“Would you be so kind as to get me a glass of water, Cambia? My throat is quite dry.”
Cambia went to get the water. After returning to the bedroom, she set the glass down on the bedside table. Picking up the bell, she said, “You won’t be needing this anymore. You did quite well without it when I was at college yesterday. Get up and move around and I’m sure you’ll start feeling better. Good night, Mom.” Cambia quietly closed the door and crawled back into her bed with Uriah.
She lay there thinking. “Thank you, God,” she whispered as she thought of how her mother had accepted the baby after finding out he was a boy. Cambia noticed a little sparkle in her eyes whenever she held Uriah. “I miss Cassia so much. Lord, please forgive me for lying to her. You know I did not mean to hurt her, but I could not go through another abortion. What happened to the baby I killed? Has it been given a new body? Is it living on in Heaven?”
Cambia brushed at the tears that trickled down the sides of her face. She could not shake herself of the terrible deed she had done. What were we thinking? The aching in her heart only seemed to intensify as she thought of Sean Nicholas and the deception she let her mother talk her into doing towards him. I’ll never forgive myself. I’m acting just like my mother.
Alexander stretched out in his seat as best he could and looked out the window of the plane as it landed in Miami. He breathed a sigh of relief that his wife had decided to stay home. There is no way I was going to let her mess this week up for Art, he thought as he pulled his travel bag down to exit the plane. His rental car was parked just where the car rental lady said it would be. As he drove to the hotel, he gave Fiona a call. She would be arriving on a later flight.
“I’ll pick you up from the airport, Fiona, so you can cancel your rental agreement.”
Once Fiona freshened up in her hotel room, Alexander drove her to dinner.
“I’ve already spoken with Art, he’s looking forward to seeing us both.”
“So is Charles,” Fiona said taking a sip of her piña colada.
Those four days were memorable ones for both Alexander and Fiona. Although Alexander felt some guilt being there with another woman, he overrode his guilt with the excuse that he did not want to put up with his wife’s demanding ways. Plus, she was the one who decided not to come anyway.
It was a struggle, but he and Fiona managed to keep themselves from engaging in another act of adultery.
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family stories. You may purchase a copy of this novel and any other Christian fiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.