Welcome to the Whyte House Family Spoken Novels podcast episode #96. Today we are reading chapter 41 of the novel “…And Family Drama Just Won’t Stop II” by Daniel Whyte III with Meriqua Whyte.
“But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.” – Matthew 18:6
“Daddy, we had fun,” Mitch said as his father slid into the driver’s seat.
“You did?” he said reaching over to give Monica a kiss.
“We went to the bookstore and I got me a bunch of new books to read. I read a bunch of books at the library too,” Mitch told him triumphantly.
Jonathan pulled out of the church’s parking lot and headed to Ruby Tuesday’s for a late lunch.
“How about you, Jerri? Did you have fun?”
“Yes,” Jerrilyn said. “Mommy had me making some funny sounds even though I told her I can already talk.”
“That’s so you can be smart and read big words like me,” Mitch boasted. “And it’s called phonics. I hate phonics,” Mitch said.
Jonathan smiled at Monica and said, “That was a smart move on your part to homeschool and I am glad you did it. Mitch seems so much happier.”
Jonathan decided to do some work at home rather than go into his office at the church. He settled down in the living room for some quiet time and to listen to the afternoon news. Mitch was sitting beside him playing with his trucks. Jerrilyn was showing a picture book to her dolls and Monica was upstairs putting Caleb down for his nap.
“Monica, hurry! Breaking news!” Jonathan shouted up to her. He pointed to the television screen as she came down the stairs. A reporter was speaking:
“Breaking news: A deranged nineteen-year-old, opened fire at the Elmore Elementary School around 2:06 after forcing his way into the building. So far, seventeen children and three teachers have been pronounced dead. Several others are in critical condition. Stay tuned as we keep you updated on this tragedy.”
“Makes no sense at all,” Jonathan said shaking his head as the commercials came on the screen.
Monica sat down on the couch. She looked down at her own children, knowing that it could have been one of her own.
“Dad, what’s deranged?” Mitch asked.
“It means he’s insane or mad and he does things like shooting innocent children.”
“Why did he do it then, Dad?” Mitch asked again.
“We don’t quite know, Mitch. He was probably angry about something.”
“Dad, what would he be angry about?” Mitch’s curious mind was whirling with many questions.
“We’ll find out soon enough, son,” Jonathan said, giving him a hug. “I just want you to know I love you, Mitch.”
“Yeah, Dad, I love you too, but why-”
“Come on up here on the couch with us, Jerri,” Jonathan said.
Monica and Jonathan made sure to hug their kids extra tight that afternoon and night. Neither of them could even begin to imagine what the parents of those seventeen children must have been going through as the news report continued:
“The police have contacted the mother of the gunman. She has informed police that her son was angry after she and his father divorced when he was fourteen.”
“There is no human explanation for this type of behavior,” Jonathan said. “Monica, I’m glad we have made the decision to homeschool our children.”
At breakfast the next morning, Jonathan said, “I can’t get that senseless shooting, no, murder, out of my mind. It could have been at Mitch’s school. He could have been one of the victims. I feel better now that they will be home, Monica.”
Monica smiled as she refilled Jerrilyn’s glass of juice.
“Mom?” Mitch said quietly. “Are you and Dad getting a divorce?”
“No, why?” Monica asked.
“Well, yesterday when we were watching the news and they said the boy who killed all the kids and…”
“I hope you weren’t up all night worrying about that. Come on over here.” Jonathan looked Mitch in the eye and said, “You don’t ever have to worry about that. We will always be together as a family. Tell you what, why not hurry up and eat and we’ll make today a school outing day. We’ll take you and Jerrilyn to the Oklahoma City Zoo, like I promised you some time back.”
“OK, I’ll finish my breakfast before you, Jerri,” Mitch called as he scrambled back up in his seat. “Too fast for ya’,” Jerrilyn laughed as she showed him her empty plate.
The family returned home from the zoo at two in the afternoon. Jonathan then left again to meet with Pastor Rollins, to visit Anise Caverly and her husband, and to meet with the deacons to discuss a plan for further outreach work for the church through the Internet.
After fixing the children a snack and tucking them in on the living room floor for a nap, Monica was just settling down with a book she’d wanted to finish when she received a disturbing phone call.
Thank you for joining us for this episode of Whyte House Family stories. You may purchase a copy of this novel and any other Christian fiction books read on this podcast from Amazon.com.
Now, dear listener, please know that God—the divine Author of all things—wants to write a great story with your life as well. But first you must give Him the pen by trusting Him with the life He gave you and surrendering your heart to Jesus Christ as Savior. Here is how:
1. Accept the fact that you are a sinner, and that you have broken God’s law. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 7:20: “For there is not a just man upon earth that doeth good, and sinneth not.” Romans 3:23 reads: “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”
2. Accept the fact that there is a penalty for sin. The Bible states in Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death…”
3. Accept the fact that you are on the road to hell. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 10:28: “And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” The Bible says in Revelation 21:8: “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
4. Accept the fact that you cannot do anything to save yourself! The Bible states in Ephesians 2: 8, 9: “For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
5. Accept the fact that God loves you more than you love yourself, and that He wants to save you from hell. Jesus Christ said in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
6. With these facts in mind, please repent of your sins, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and pray and ask Him to come into your heart and save you this very moment. The Bible states in the book of Romans 10:9, 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Dear friend, if you are willing to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, please pray with me this simple prayer: Heavenly Father, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you believed in your heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again, allow me to say, congratulations on doing the most important thing in life and that is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour! For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
May God bless you until next time.