Claremont 13-Year-Old Dies After Experiencing COVID-19 Symptoms

CLAREMONT (CBSLA) — A Claremont family was grieving Friday after a 13-year-old boy, who had been isolating in his room after experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, died.

And though it was not yet clear what caused Maxx Cheng’s death, many are concerned that a young, healthy child could could be one of the latest victims of the coronavirus pandemic.

“He had this, like, dream of wanting to go to the Olympics,” Charlotte Cheng, Maxx’s sister, said.

Quarantined inside her home, Cheng said her younger brother began to feel sick on the Fourth of July.

“Nausea, vomiting, chest pains,” she said. “That list that pops up, a little bit, on that initial search, he had all of those symptoms.”

On July 9, Maxx’s mother took him to get tested for COVID-19. That test came back negative.

“His symptoms matched, but then the test came out negative,” Cheng said. “So we were a little bit confused.”

Despite the test result, Maxx continued to isolate in his bedroom due to his ongoing symptoms.

“We went to go check up on him, like we normally do,” Cheng said. “He wasn’t answering. We found him passed out in the room.”

Maxx died Thursday night after days of seeming improvement over the past week.

Source: CBS