Tulsa’s health director voiced concerns Saturday about President Trump’s upcoming rally in the city, saying the novel coronavirus is still a serious health threat and that a large indoor event produces a “huge risk.”
“I think it’s an honor for Tulsa to have a sitting president want to come and visit our community, but not during a pandemic,” Tulsa City-County Health Department’s director Bruce Dart told The Tulsa World. “I’m concerned about our ability to protect anyone who attends a large, indoor event, and I’m also concerned about our ability to ensure the president stays safe as well.”
“COVID is here in Tulsa, it is transmitting very efficiently,” Dart added. “I wish we could postpone this to a time when the virus isn’t as large a concern as it is today.”
Trump is preparing to host his first in-person campaign rally in more than three months in Tulsa this week.
The Trump campaign suspended in-person events in March as the coronavirus outbreak caused states around the nation to institute stay-at-home orders in an effort to slow the spread of the disease. The president said last week that his campaign would “start our rallies back up” with an event in Tulsa on June 19.
He later announced that the rally would be pushed one day later to avoid overlapping with Juneteenth, the annual holiday commemorating the end of slavery in the U.S. The initial date of the event had garnered swift backlash.
Source: The Hill