President Donald Trump, first lady Melania Trump and their son Barron were rushed into the White House bunker Friday night after protesters breached one of the barricades outside of the White House complex.
The first family was taken to the underground location around 7 p.m. after multiple people crossed over fences that had been erected to form a barrier around the White House and Treasury Building, The Washington Post reported.
The new details about what happened on Friday night, the first night of protests in the District of Columbia after the death of George Floyd. The large size of the crowd took officials by surprise as hundreds gathered outside the White House, some of them throwing rocks and tugging at police barricades.
Trump was angry after reports he was hiding in the bunker – some said he was in there up to an hour – and said Wednesday he was down there to inspect it.
‘I go down, I’ve gone down two or three times – all for inspection – and you go there, some day you may need it,’ he said Wednesday on Brian Kilmeade’s FOX News Radio show. ‘I went down. I looked at it. It was during the day, it was not a problem.’
He denied he was brought their for safety.
‘It was a false report,’ he told Kilmeade.
Secret Service agents arrested four people on Friday after the breach, which took place near a Treasury Department fence line about 350 feet from the West Wing.
The Treasury Department sits next to the White House and it’s easy to cross over from one complex to another. Reporters have spotted Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin cutting across Treasury’s lawn, through the lower drive way in front of the White House in order to get to the West Wing.
One of the protesters told the Post they didn’t realize what they did triggered a ‘red’ security alert among the Secret Service.
‘I didn’t even realize what I did was illegal,’ said one of the protesters, who spoke to the newspaper on the condition of anonymity because of the pending charges. ‘I stepped over a barricade. I never got onto the Treasury grounds or White House grounds.’
Trump’s s tough crack down on protesters and march to St. John’s Church across from the White House on Monday – where police used gas and rubber bullets to clear peaceful demonstrators from the area to make way for the president – was, in part, a response to reports he was taken to the bunker.
He described his time in the underground room as ‘more for an inspection.’
‘I was there for a tiny, short little period of time,’ he told Kilmeade in a 30 minute interview on Wednesday morning. ‘A whole group of people went with me as an inspecting factor.’
‘They said it would be a good time to go down and take a look because maybe sometime you’re going to need it,’ he noted. ‘I’ve been down – that’d be number two, so two and half sort of, because I’ve done different things, but two and a half.’
‘But I looked I was down for a very very short period of time, a very very short period of time, I can’t tell you who went with me but a whole group of people went with me,’ Trump added.
Click here to read more.
Source: Daily Mail