Total Time: Prep: 20 min. + soaking Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans or chickpeas
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Assorted fresh vegetables
- Rinse and sort beans; soak according to package directions.
Drain and rinse the beans, discarding liquid. Transfer to a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker; add onion, bay leaf and water.
- Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 12 minutes. Let pressure release naturally. Drain mixture, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Discard onion and bay leaf.
- Place the beans, parsley, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, cumin, salt and cayenne in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Add enough reserved cooking liquid to achieve desired consistency.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with vegetables.
SOURCE: Taste of Home