The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are showing ‘staggering disrespect’ to Queen Elizabeth II with their public statement seemingly complaining about their treatment by Buckingham Palace, Piers Morgan has said.
‘The staggering disrespect these two keep showing to the Queen is outrageous,’ Daily Mail’s editor-at-large tweeted on Saturday.
‘Who the hell do they think they are?’
After the couple was forced to shut down their ‘Sussex Royal’ brand, Harry and Meghan posted an extraordinary statement on their own website.
Harry and Meghan put a new sour-sounding statement on their own website hours after announcing they would stop using the word ‘royal’ in their branding after the Spring – and they insisted on keeping their HRH titles even though they would not ‘actively use’ them.
The statement also said that neither the government nor the Queen herself own the word ‘royal’ internationally, but they would nonetheless stop using the title.
The statement read: ‘While there is not any jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word “Royal” overseas, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use “Sussex Royal” or any iteration of the word “Royal” in any territory (either within the UK or otherwise) when the transition occurs Spring 2020.’
They also appeared to complain that the palace is treating them differently to other family members.
The statement continued: ‘While there is precedent for other titled members of the Royal Family to seek employment outside of the institution, for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, a 12-month review period has been put in place.
‘Per the agreement The Duke and Duchess of Sussex understand that they are required to step back from Royal duties and not undertake representative duties on behalf of Her Majesty The Queen.’
A spokesman for the couple first issued a statement to the media about their use of royal titles shortly after 7.30pm on Friday but around 10pm they shared a much longer statement on their website via their Instagram story.
The much-longer statement included the reference to the treatment of other royals, the fact that Harry is still sixth in line for the throne and that they are still entitled to public protection.
They said they ‘require effective security to protect them and their son’ amid controversy surrounding the estimated £3million – £6million protection bill that would be split between taxpayers in Canada and the UK.
Many sections of the later statement released on their website appear hostile in tone, especially when compared to the earlier statement which was released through a spokesman for the couple.
Many royal experts believe the episode is another PR disaster for the couple.
Richard Fitzwilliams, royal commentator and international editor of Who’s Who, said about the lengthier statement on their website: ‘It is completely unnecessary to add that. Simply because it underlines their differences with the palace in a way that is avoidable.’
Prince Charles’ biographer Tom Bower told MailOnline that the public is ‘finally seeing Meghan’s true nature and motives’.
‘Her comments about the Queen’s decision smacks of spiteful fury,’ he said.
‘I fear it will get worse.’
A statement issued by the palace last month stated that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will no longer use their HRH titles.
Meghan and Harry’s statement states, however, that they will keep the prefixes His and Her Royal Highness.
They go on to claim that the titles will not be used ‘actively’ when the couple cease being working members of the firm.
They also confirmed that their office – based in Buckingham Palace – would be closed, a move they said was ‘saddening for The Duke and Duchess and their loyal staff’.
The announcement follows the Daily Mail’s revelation this week that Buckingham Palace had told Harry and Meghan not to employ the ‘Sussex Royal’ name when they are no longer working royals.
It is a significant blow for the couple, who have spent tens of thousands of pounds building the Sussex Royal-branded website and creating a hugely popular Instagram feed.
In an unprecedented legal move, the queen has drafted in top lawyers in a bid to enforce the ban.
A string of trademark applications, covering items from clothing and books to stationery and bandanas, were withdrawn.
It comes after MailOnline yesterday revealed that Meghan has told friends there is nothing ‘legally stopping’ her and Harry from using their Sussex Royal name.
SOURCE: Daily Mail, by Jake Hurfurt, Jemma Carr, Jack Elsom and Ariel Zilber