At least eight people were killed and five injured in two shooting attacks in the western Germany town of Hanau on Wednesday night, sending police on a large-scale hunt for the gunman. The suspected shooter was found dead in his home hours later, police said.
Officers discovered the suspect and another body at the same address, police said in a tweet posted around 5 a.m. local time. They did not provide any additional information, but said there were “no indications of further perpetrators.”
Police also said they could not provide details on the attacker’s motive, but German news reports said the shootings targeted two hookah cafes in Hanau, which is about 15 miles east of Frankfurt.
Shots were fired at two different locations in the town around 10 p.m., police said. Authorities were initially searching for “unknown perpetrators,” and a dark vehicle was seen driving away from the scene of the first shooting in the town center, they said. Police appealed for witnesses to come forward.
That first shooting took place at a hookah bar called “Midnight,” according to German news reports. Three people were shot dead there, local broadcaster Hessenschau reported, adding that a total of eight or nine shots were fired.
Shortly thereafter, five people were shot dead in the Kesselstadt area just west of the town center, it said. Images from the scene showed police cordons and an ambulance outside the Arena Bar and Cafe. Behind the red police tape, at least one car was visible, covered in thermal foil with its windows shattered.
Early reports suggested a suspect had been detained and one man was photographed handcuffed and in police custody near the scene of one of the shootings, but a police spokesman demurred when asked about arrests.
Henry Faltin, a spokesman for the police force in southern Hesse, said then that the search was “still ongoing.” On whether a far-right link was suspected, he said the motivations are “not yet clear.”
Click here to read more.
Source: Washington Post