Tragic: 6 Dead and 13 Injured in Las Vegas Apartment Fire

This photo provided by the Las Vegas Fire Department, firefighters work the scene of a fire at a three-story apartment complex early Saturday, Dec. 21, 2019 in Las Vegas. AP

Witnesses told authorities that a Las Vegas apartment complex that caught fire Saturday, killing six people and injuring 13 others, lacked heating and that the occupants were using the stove to keep warm when the blaze broke out.

The blaze at the three-story motel apartment complex appears to have been an accident, officials said.

“This is the worst fire fatality that we’ve had in the city of Las Vegas since the inception of the fire department,” city spokesman Tim Szymanski said in a press conference. “We’ve never had six (fatalities) at one time.”

The fire started around 4 a.m. in a first-floor unit of the Alpine Motel Apartments in Downtown Las Vegas, Szymanski said.

Authorities received multiple 911 calls and arrived on the scene to find heavy smoke and several people hanging out of windows. Several jumped and were injured, including a pregnant woman who was in critical condition, Szymanski said. Another person who jumped broke their legs and, possibly, their back.

A fall from 16 feet can be fatal, Szymanski said.

“I don’t think there is anything that is more disturbing than to pull up on a three-story building and see multiple people hanging out a window with heavy black smoke coming out of that building,” Szymanski said.

The fire chief immediately signaled a second alarm, which called 10 more ambulances to the scene.

Responders put out the fire within five minutes, and no firefighters were injured.

“You cannot imagine how unbearable the conditions are when you’re inside a building that catches fire,” Szymanski said. “Polyurethane foam makes a nauseous smoke. It’s like being underneath water. You are absolutely not going to be able to breath. It’s poison.”

Click here to read more.
Source: USA Today