Total Time: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours + standing
Makes: 8 servings
- 1 large shallot, coarsely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, quartered
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage or 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bone-in beef rib roast (4 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place the first six ingredients in a food processor; cover and pulse until finely chopped. Add oil, pepper and salt; cover and process until blended. Rub over roast. Place on a rack in a large roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- Remove roast to a serving platter and keep warm; let stand 15 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring broth and wine to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 1 cup. Remove from heat; stir in butter and salt. Slice roast; serve with sauce.
SOURCE: Taste of Home