Total Time: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makes: 5 dozen
- 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream margarine and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in carrots, walnuts and cranberries.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the back of a 1/2-teaspoon measure.
- Bake until edges begin brown, 10-12 minutes. Reshape indentations as needed. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat butter, cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until blended. To serve, fill each cookie with about 1-1/2 teaspoons frosting; sprinkle with additional confectioners’ sugar. Refrigerate leftover filled cookies.
SOURCE: Taste of Home