Total Time: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes: 8 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2-1/2 cups canned pumpkin (about 19 ounces)
- 1-1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup apple butter
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, mix first 4 ingredients; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Whisk together egg, water and vinegar; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other; shape each into a disk. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll larger portion to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of pie plate. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
- Roll smaller portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured pumpkin-shaped cookie cutter; place some cutouts 1 in. apart on a baking sheet, reserving unbaked cutouts for decorative edge if desired. Bake until golden brown, 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat together filling ingredients until blended; transfer to crust. flute or decorate edge with unbaked cutouts, brushing off flour before pressing lightly onto edge. Bake on a lower oven rack 10 minutes. Cover edge loosely with foil. Reduce oven setting to 350°. Bake until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack; serve or refrigerate within 2 hours. Top with baked pumpkin cutouts before serving.
SOURCE: Taste of Home