10 People Hospitalized After Carbon Monoxide at Church in Oak Cliff, Texas

Ten people aged 7 to 58 were hospitalized Wednesday evening after suffering from carbon monoxide exposure from an indoor grill at an east Oak Cliff church.

The call had originated as an unconscious person in the 1400 block of Ann Arbor Avenue, according to Dallas Fire-Rescue spokesman Jason Evans.

However, “when firefighters and medics arrived at the location, they quickly realized the situation was a lot more serious than originally indicated,” Evans said.

In all, seven units were dispatched along with an EMS supervisor, he said. The individuals were hospitalized at four area hospitals with symptoms including lethargy, dizziness, headaches and nausea.

Evans said a propane grill was reportedly being used to cook inside with the building’s doors closed, causing enough buildup of the colorless, odorless and potentially deadly gas to cause adverse health effects for those inside.

Source: Dallas Morning News