3 Dogs Die After Swimming in Pond Filled with Toxic Algae

It wasn’t what anyone expected.

On Thursday, Melissa Martin and Denise Mintz met up so their three dogs, Harpo, Izzy, and Abby, could spend some time together, according to a Facebook post from Martin. But the doggy playdate in Wilmington, North Carolina, had a grim ending when the three pups contacted blue-green algae poisoning from swimming in a pond, Martin wrote.

“Abby and Izzy had the most fun tonight chasing the ball and each other and rolling in the mud,” Martin wrote. “What started out as a fun night for them has ended in the biggest loss of our lives.”

Martin told CNN that she and Mintz brought their dogs to the veterinarian on Thursday. Harpo, Martin’s “doodle” who is also a therapy dog, was the first to show symptoms of algae poisoning, Martin said. Martin said she became concerned when Harpo began to seize and show signs of liver failure. Izzy and Abby, West Highland White Terriers, also went to the vet on Thursday night after both experienced seizures, according to CNN.

According to Martin’s Facebook post, all three dogs died by midnight on Friday.

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: INSIDER, Susanna Heller