An art teacher who is severely allergic to banana almost died when students pranked her by smearing the fruit on the door handle to her classroom before pelting her with them during her lesson.
A 13-year-old girl and two 12-year-old boys were sentenced to probation for the appalling attack at the Starling K-8 school in Columbus, Ohio, which saw the unnamed female teacher go into anaphylactic shock.
Such is the teacher’s allergy to the fruit, she declared her classroom a ‘banana free zone’ by posting signs outside of her classroom and asked any student who may have eaten one to wash their hands.
But last November, the teacher came close to dying when the students smeared banana on her door and then started throwing them at her, WSYX reported.
The teacher went into anaphylactic shock in less than 15 minutes and didn’t respond to the use of two EpiPen shots.
‘She starts to change colors,’ a school security employee can be heard saying on police body camera video as officers arrived at the school.
‘They gave her one EpiPen. It wasn’t working. They gave her another EpiPen. Her throat was starting to close up.’
Her colleagues called 911 and she was rushed to the hospital where she thankfully recovered.
‘All of the kids know she is deathly allergic to bananas,’ a staff member said. ‘If it touches her she will go into anaphylactic shock.’
‘They’re sitting out here and they’re all eating their lunch,’ her colleague added. ‘So, so one of them takes a banana and sits it on the door.’
SOURCE: Daily Mail