Total Time: Prep: 55 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
Makes: 8 servings
- 3 large zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 each medium red, yellow and orange peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced crusty Italian bread
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- Preheat oven to 400°. Toss zucchini and peppers with oil and seasonings; transfer to a 15x10x1-in. pan. Roast until tender, 25-30 minutes, stirring once. Stir in tomato; cool slightly.
- Trim ends from bread; cut bread into 1-in. slices. In a greased 13×9-in. baking dish, layer half of each of the following: bread, roasted vegetables and cheeses. Repeat layers. Whisk together eggs and milk; pour evenly over top. Refrigerate, covered, 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown, 40-50 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
SOURCE: Taste of Home