The two-year-old girl who was struck by a foul ball last month at a Houston Astros-Chicago Cubs game has suffered serious injuries including a skull fracture and a seizure and is now on medication.
The child’s family is finally disclosing her condition, hiring attorney Richard Mithoff who listed the extent of her injuries in a letter to Astros owner Jim Crane to discuss options over the incident.
The little girl was struck in the head by Cubs outfielder Albert Almora Jr’s fourth-inning line-drive that flew into the stands behind third base at Houston’s Minute Maid Park on May 29.
She was sitting on a relative’s lap when she was struck in the head and was rushed to the hospital, where she remained for several days.
The letter revealed she suffered a skull fracture, brain contusions, bleeding, brain edema, and a seizure. As a result she is now on medication to prevent future seizures and is recovering at home.
‘The Astros’ risk management representative reached out to the family, and now that the family is represented by counsel, I wanted to let the other side know that I am involved so that can get in touch with me,’ Mithoff said, adding the little girl’s health will be reassessed in July.
‘The family has retained me to consult about their options and to publicly thank the fans and Astros for their outpouring of support.
‘I know Jim Crane and know him to be a responsible owner, and I think he will do the right thing,’ he added.
The family hasn’t said yet if they plan to sue the baseball team.
The Astros released the following statement Wednesday saying: ‘The Astros continue to send our thoughts and prayers to the young girl and her family. We continue to respect the family’s request for privacy and have no further comment at this time.’
A day after the shocking hit Major League Baseball released a statement calling the incident ‘extremely upsetting’ and vowed to continue to examine its policy on protective netting at stadiums.
All major league stadiums, Minute Maid Park has protective netting for foul balls. The family of the injured little girl was sitting one section away from where that protective netting ends.
Video from the May 29 baseball game shows Almora hit the line-drive and fall to his knees and into tears after he saw his ball hit the crowd.
Almora declined to talk about the incident since the game but has said, ‘Right now, obviously, I want to put a net around the whole stadium.’
On Wednesday Cubs manager Joe Maddon said he understands why Almora doesn’t want to talk about the hit anymore and said MLB will expand its policy on protective netting.
‘It’s going to happen,’ Maddon said. ‘I mean, there’s no question, it’s going to happen. I’ve been doing this a while and I’ve seen different situations like that. I’ll be on board with something like that.’
Following recommendations from Major League Baseball, by the start of the 2018 season all 30 teams had expanded their protective netting to at least the far ends of the dugouts after several fans were injured by foul balls in 2017.
In 2017 at Yankee Stadium a boy was struck in the head by a portion of a broken bat in may and in July that same year another fan sitting behind the first base dugout was hit by a 105mph foul boul. In September a young girl was hurt by another 105mph foul and was hospitalized.
Last August a woman died after she struck in the head by a foul ball at Dodger stadium.
The Chicago White Sox have plan to become the first team to extend the protective netting to foul poles after a female fan was hit in June.
SOURCE: Daily Mail by Marlene Lenthang, AP