Family of Four and Their Three Dogs Found Dead in Ohio Home of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Facebook / Via facebook.com

A family of four were found dead in their Ohio home on Thursday, the victims of what authorities believe is a case of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Richard Gabriel Reitter III, 50, and his wife, Jennifer Reitter, 49, were found dead in their Genoa Township home along with their two children, Richard and Grace. The family’s three dogs also died.

“Our community suffered a terrible loss,” Genoa Township police Chief Stephen Gammill said at a press conference Friday.

Police checked in on the Reitter family Thursday when relatives contacted authorities after being unable to reach the family since Monday. Officers were told that members of the family had been complaining of illness, sparking concern.

When police arrived, the home was secure and they encountered a suspicious odor, prompting them to contact fire officials, Gammill said.

“Once personnel got on scene, they suspected a carbon monoxide incident,” Genoa Township Fire Deputy Chief Joseph Ponzi said.

Ponzi noted that his department considers 30 parts per million (ppm) for carbon monoxide to be potentially harmful. When firefighters entered the home, they found readings inside of 1,000 ppm — the maximum reading on the meter.

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: Buzzfeed News, Salvador Hernandez