The Islamic State terrorist group is claiming responsibility for the terror attacks that killed more than 300 people in Sri Lanka Easter Sunday. And Sri Lanka’s defense minister says the bombings were carried out in retaliation for the attack on mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand in March.
Those shootings at two New Zealand mosques last month left at least 50 people dead. While the defense minister made the claim before Sri Lanka’s parliament, he didn’t provide evidence to back up the statement or give a source for his information.
Meanwhile, Sri Lanka’s Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe informed the public that certain officials had previously received intelligence that potential attacks could happen.
“By now it has been established that the intelligence units were aware of this attack and a group of responsible people were informed about the impending attack,” he said. “However, this information had been circulated among only a few officials.”
AP reports two other government ministers were aware of the advance knowledge.
Telecommunications Minister Harin Fernando tweeted: “Some intelligence officers were aware of this incidence. Therefore there was a delay in action. Serious action needs to be taken as to why this warning was ignored.”
The Catholic Archbishop of Colombo, Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith, is demanding justice for the massacre of Christian worshippers, stating the attacks could have been prevented.
Click here to read more.