Things reportedly did not turn out well Saturday night for what was apparently one of the first paid events for disgraced R&B singer R. Kelly, who claims to be broke while defending himself in a criminal case involving 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse.
Ticket prices originally set at $100 were reduced to $50 at the Springfield, Illinois venue, according to reporting from Brittany Hardaway, who added that turnout was low and fans disappointed.
Earlier on Saturday, Kelly announced the event and urged the media “to take it easy” on him in an Instagram post, saying, “this is how I got to get paid right now.”
Kelly was charged on Feb. 22 with 10 counts of aggravated sexual abuse for allegedly assaulting three underage girls and one adult woman. The charges came after the release of the “Surviving R. Kelly” documentary.
The latest sex crime charges he is facing stem from attorney Michael Avenatti giving purported child porn videos to prosecutors that featured the singer. Avenatti said he was hired last April in connection to multiple allegations of Kelly sexually assaulting minors. He claimed to have videotaped evidence, which, despite their similarities, were apparently not the same video footage that got Kelly indicted in 2002 — and acquitted in 2008 — for child porn.
His lawyer has told the court that Kelly is broke. He had to rely on supporters to help post $100,000 bail after he was first locked up.
Click here for more.
SOURCE: News One