Jussie Smollett is set to be sued by the city of Chicago after refusing to pay more than $130,000 to cover the costs of the investigation into his allegedly staged racist, anti-gay attack.
It was reported that Chicago officials will file a civil lawsuit against Smollett after the deadline passed for him to pay the charges associated with the controversial probe.
A spokesman for the city told TMZ: ‘Mr. Smollett has refused to reimburse the City of Chicago for the cost of police overtime spent investigating his false police report on January 29, 2019.
‘The Law Department is now drafting a civil complaint that will be filed in the Circuit Court of Cook County.
‘Once it is filed, the Law Department will send a courtesy copy of the complaint to Mr. Smollett’s L.A. based legal team.’
The spokesman told Fox 32’s Rafer Weigel that the suit will be filed in the ‘near future’ and will seek full measure of damages allowed.
Representatives for Smollett have not yet commented on the matter or whether Smollett intends to pay the investigative fees.
Last week Chicago Mayor Rahm Emmanuel’s law chief sent the Empire actor a letter demanding he cover the probe costs after the 16 felony disorderly conduct charges against him were dropped.
The letter, dated March 28, demanded the 36-year-old actor pay the $130,106.15 bill within seven days.
On Thursday Ola Osundairo, one of the two brothers who claim they were paid by the Empire actor to attack him on January 29, broke cover for the first time since Smollett’s charges were dropped.
Click here to read more.
Source: Daily Mail