The wife of a man who boarded doomed flight MH370 has pleaded with the Malaysian government to keep the search for her husband alive.
This week, Danica Weeks became the first family member of anybody on the plane – which seemingly vanished on March 8, 2014 – to meet with Malaysian Prime Minister Dr Mahathir bin Mohamad.
She hoped to convince him to re-open the five-year-old case and bring the remains of her husband, Paul, home.
‘Please don’t give up on us,’ she begged Dr Mohamad during the conversation.
Malaysian authorities argue the information they have is now stale and they cannot investigate further without fresh and reliable new leads.
Mrs Woods spoke with 60 Minutes regarding her determination to keep the case alive.
‘This isn’t just about the 239 people on a Boeing 777. This is about eight million people every day that get on a flight. Wives, husbands, family members off for holidays, workers that get on a plane and we don’t know what happened,’ she said.
The unprecedented meeting lasted about 30 minutes, during which Dr Mohamad vowed to continue searching for the remains of MH370.
However, he refused to give any credit to theories the plane’s pilot, Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah, hijacked the plane and crashed it, committing mass murder in the process.
‘I cannot think that a person who has been flying for so long, a very senior pilot would want to do that. I don’t know how he can make it disappear.’
‘Not knowing is extremely distressing… God forbid it should happen to me, but I would be very upset, especially when the search is terminated… Losing an aircraft is nothing, but losing people is something else.’
Mrs Weeks welcomed the Malaysian government’s continued support, and said she believed they would get to the bottom of the mysterious disappearance.
‘It is very important, obviously, for us five years on to have that right and that opportunity to lay my husband to rest and bring him home to us.’
Mrs Weeks and her husband, Paul, shared two children together, two boys now aged eight and six.
She said she wants to be able to explain to them the full truth of what happened to their father.
Mrs Weeks husband was one of 238 people on board the flight in Kuala Lumpur bound for Beijing on March 8, 2014.
After extensive searches conducted by multiple different organisations and government bodies, officials ceased looking for remnants of the aircraft in 2017.
Only three pieces of debris have been identified as parts of the missing plane in the last five years. They are currently locked away in a Malaysian vault for safe keeping.
Malaysian authorities continue to assess whether these pieces could provide vital information into where and how the plane came down.
While theories surrounding a possible murder-suicide motive are rampant among professional aviation circles, the wider Malaysian community has refused to acknowledge the possibility of captain Zaharie’s guilt.
Malaysian Airlines Crisis Manager Fuad Sharuji said he received the first phone call saying on the ground crew had lost contact with the flight on March 8, 2014, at 2:30am.
‘I knew that there was something seriously wrong, so we immediately activated our code red,’ he said.
‘His final words were goodnight MH370. Goodnight Malaysia 370. His voice was relatively calm. There was no sign of anxiety at all,’ Mr Sharuji continued.
The former prime minister of Australia, Malcolm Turnbull, previously acknowledged the likelihood that ‘the captain planned this shocking event’.
He said he believed the pilot may have wanted ‘to create the world’s greatest mystery.’
SOURCE: Daily Mail, Brittany Chan