In this second of a three-part series on the ketogenic diet (find Part 1 here), I want to start by sharing links to articles where Dr. Mercola explains the benefits of the ketogenic diet.
- Everything You Need to Know About the Ketogenic Diet
- Basic Introduction to Metabolic Mitochondrial Therapy – Fat for Fuel: Mark’s comment – Note, Mercola discusses the need to cycle out of ketosis one or two days a week so your body is still comfortable burning carbs for fuel. Mercola discusses cycling in-depth here.
- How the Sugar Industry Managed to Dupe the World for Decades: Fats were blamed for poor health, yet the studies show sugars are the cause of poor health, and healthy fats are essential for good health. These two big mistakes got rolled into one mammoth misdirection, which is, “Don’t eat fats, and do eat carbs and sugar.”
- Every cell membrane is made from fats. Healthy fats nourish healthy cell membranes, and unhealthy fats create unhealthy cell membranes. Healthy fats are the building blocks in your body.
Studies on the Health Benefits of the Ketogenic Diet
- 50 studies on the health benefits of the ketogenic diet. Click here for the first of these studies. Then on the bottom of the page, go on to pages 2, 3, 4 and 5 for a total of 50 studies.
- Explore these links on longevity and the ketogenic diet and these links also.
- PubMed has 2300+ studies listed on the effects of the ketogenic diet
- Go to the PubMed website, which is where you find many medical research studies posted concerning the health benefits of fasting. Type “fasting” in their search bar.
John Hopkins University and Keto (They Have Used Keto for 100 Years)
- The Ketogenic Diet Center at John Hopkins
- John Hopkins Medicine search for low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet.
- John Hopkins Medicine – High-Fat Ketogenic Diet Misunderstood, Underused
- John Hopkins Medicine – Ketogenic Diet Shown Safe and Effective Option for Some with Rare and Severest Form of Epilepsy
Be safe; Be Under a Doctor’s Supervision
John Hopkins University carefully monitors those on the keto diet. Here is one comment by a retired medical doctor. “For about a year I was the doctor. who examined persons to be on a ketogenic diet. I found out that we need the potassium check because it can get too low. The company was sued when such a person died because of it.”
Patti and Mark take this calcium, magnesium, potassium supplement daily for general health and wellbeing.
- You need a reason: The reasons we choose healthy living are as follows: we believe our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit; we want to enjoy our grandchildren; we want to celebrate our golden years in vibrant health and not in bed; we see the misery of others who enter their golden years in pain. What is your reason, and do you hold it with enough passion to put in the work to maintain health? I pray so! Look around and say to yourself, “I do not want to be in the health condition of so many that I see.”
- Our initial period on the ketogenic diet was nine weeks. Now we are experimenting with cycling out of ketosis on some periodic schedule.
- Restricting food intake to two meals a day, within a six- to seven-hour window (12:00 and 6:00 works for us). This is called intermittent fasting and has many proven health benefits. Lower calories also seems wise to us. We are averaging about 1400 calories a day, which is about one-third less than we used to eat. Since the ketogenic diet removes food cravings, not eating till noon is no problem.
- We sure love keto (bulletproof) coffee first thing in the morning. Just so you know, studies show drinking coffee extends your life. This holds us till noon.
- We have a cup of green tea daily which has many proven health benefits.
- To lose weight, you need stay in ketosis: Keep healthy fats high (70 percent), healthy carbs to 5 percent (20 – 30 grams net carb) and protein consumption low (25 percent). Keep in mind when calculating this that 1 gram of fat = 8.9 calories, while 1 gram of carbs or protein = 4 calories.
- We have chosen to avoid soy for the reasons mentioned in this linked article.
Click here to read more.
SOURCE: Charisma News, by MARK VIRKLER