Chris Christie Removes Himself from Consideration for Trump’s Next Chief of Staff

Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie issued a statement Friday saying he has asked not to be considered for the White House chief of staff job after meeting with President Donald Trump to discuss the role.


Christie met with Trump on Thursday, but two sources familiar with the discussion said no offer had been made.

“It’s an honor to have the President consider me as he looks to choose a new White House chief of staff. However, I’ve told the President that now is not the right time for me or my family to undertake this serious assignment,” Christie said in a statement obtained by CNN but first reported by The New York Times.

“As a result, I have asked him to no longer to keep me in any of his considerations for this post,” Christie added.

The former governor was just the latest in a long string of people to discuss the chief of staff position with Trump.

In a brief back-and-forth with reporters Friday, White House counselor Kellyanne Conway smiled and teased reporters by declaring she knows who the frontrunner is — but quickly added she would not disclose the details.

“Oh, I’m not saying, although I know. I know the answer, I’m not telling you,” Conway said.

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: CNN, Jamie Gangel, Jim Acosta and Dana Bash