Brooklyn District Attorney Drops Charges Against Mother Whose Baby Was Forced from Her Arms by Police Officers During Arrest

Jazmine Headley, the New York mother seen in a viral video having her baby ripped from her arms by police officers and security guards, said she’s just “happy to be free” after charges against her were dropped.

Headley was released from a jail on Rikers Island after 9 p.m. Tuesday and thanked her supporters outside for their words of encouragement.

“I just want to thank everybody and all the support that I have been getting in New York and all the great people who have been supporting me,” she said, after she was released from Rikers Island on her own recognizance. “I haven’t gotten to read all the articles and just all the great things and all of the love, and I am accepting it. And I am just so grateful to everyone, and I am just happy to be free, and I just need to see my boy. So, thank you guys.”

The Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office said earlier on Tuesday that it wouldn’t pursue charges against the 23-year-old Headley.

“Continuing to pursue this case will not serve any purpose and I therefore moved today to dismiss it immediately in the interest of justice,” Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez said in a statement. “Discretion is the better part of valor and we must be thoughtful and compassionate in evaluating the merit of our cases.”

Gonzalez said a security guard at the Human Resources Administration office in Brooklyn on Friday afternoon “escalated the situation” that drew New York City police officers into the confrontation, “creating an awful scenario of a baby being torn from his mother.”

Gonzalez made the decision to drop the charges after speaking with New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio.

“I applaud the DA’s decision to do so,” de Blasio said Tuesday. “[Headley] should be reunited with her child as soon as possible.”

Headley was being held at Rikers on an unrelated warrant out of Mercer County, New Jersey, and she must appear in Mercer County Superior Court on Wednesday to face charges stemming from a 2017 arrest on suspicion of credit card theft.

That warrant was issued by a Mercer County Superior Court judge on July 17, 2017, when Headley failed to appear for an arraignment, Casey DeBlasio, a spokeswoman for the Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office, told ABC News.

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: ABC News, Bill Hutchinson and Aaron Katersky