The fiance of slain Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi says she declined President Donald Trump’s invitation to the White House, explaining she believed the sentiment as one aimed at influencing public opinion in favor.
Hatice Cengiz talked about her fiance in-depth with Haberturk, a Turkish media organization, marking her first televised interview since Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi Arabia consulate in Turkey.
Trump said he wanted to invite Cengiz to the White House amid intensifying speculation that Khashoggi had been tortured, murdered and dismembered inside the consulate by Saudi officials.
“Trump invited me to the United States but I perceived it as a statement to win public favor,” Cengiz told Haberturk, according to a translation of the interview.
Cengiz broke down multiple times during the interview but made it a point that those responsible for her fiance’s death should be held accountable.
“I demand that all those involved in this savagery from the highest to the lowest levels are punished and brought to justice,” she said.
Saudi officials offered a barrage of conflicting explanations over what happened to Khashoggi since he walked into the consulate on Oct. 2 to handle some paperwork for his upcoming marriage.
Cengiz was waiting for him outside, but Khashoggi never left.
Click here to read more.
Source: USA Today